Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HTPC Bulid

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2010 12:25:22 AM

Well this is going to be my first HTPC build, and I wanted to see what you guys think aobut it? Could I upgrade some things or get something cheaper of equal quality? Also another main concern that I have is will the PSU fit in this case? I think that it will, but I just want to be assured by another person.

HTPC Case: Antec Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

CPU/Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 245

Blu-Ray Drive: LITE-ON iHOS104-08

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB

Memory/RAM: AllComponents 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power

More about : htpc bulid

July 1, 2010 12:39:37 AM

Unless you are using a linux distro as your OS, you should definitely consider getting 4 gigs of RAM.. Rest of the build looks fine for an entry level HTPC setup provided you are not gearing towards some heavy duty video conversion..
m
l
July 1, 2010 1:01:18 AM

Emperus said:
Unless you are using a linux distro as your OS, you should definitely consider getting 4 gigs of RAM.. Rest of the build looks fine for an entry level HTPC setup provided you are not gearing towards some heavy duty video conversion..

I just want to play Blu-Ray movies through my surround sound system via hdmi...
That's all that I'm going to use it for, and for backing up my dvd's but that's it...
I can convert on my main rig

Would I really benefit from 4 gigs of RAM if playing blu-ray movies is the main thing that I will do?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2010 2:45:46 AM

I think you should be fine. Just understand that you are limited. Win Vista/7 will utilize anywhere from 1 GB to 1.5 GB of RAM.

But to be honest if all you're doing is playing blurays then 2 GB should be fine. Also I would recommend getting a modular PSU. As you'll find in a microATX build there is very little room for excess cables and a heat build up can be an issue. This in turn can drive the speed of the CPU fan up, which increases volume.

I got an OCZ modular PSU on the cheap, lemmie see if I can find one.
July 8, 2010 12:19:56 AM

Best answer selected by nesto1000.
m
l
!