werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
When do you typically switch your CPU out? I am still fine with the performance of my E8500 although I can see it being retired in the next 2-3 years for sure. By then hopefully 22nm will be in place and the switch is made. However, I see some people switch every platform. Just curious when do guys plan on switching and what is your current platform?

I switch / build whenever I judge the performance of my current PC is below my expectations. Shortest life is probably a little over 1.5 years going from an E6600 (August 2006) to a Q9450 (April 2008).

In actuality, the E6600's performance was still good enough for me. However, I wanted to upgrade my HTPC which had an old Athlon XP-M CPU. Therefore, I simply decided to shift the E6600 to my HTPC and build a new primary PC.

My current build should last me another year. I'm not going to bother upgrading the CPU because the marginal performance increase compared to the price of a Q9650 does not justify a mere CPU swap out. The Q9450 will simply be shifted over to my HTPC and my new primary PC will be built on whatever tech is current at the time I upgrade.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

I do something similar, there are about 3 or 4 PCs that I keep track of (family etc.) with various needs. So it's not unquestionable for my to get a new CPU ever or every other platform because all the rest just get shifted down.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
My current platform is a 1366. I upgrade my main workstation/pc every 2.5 years. I don't use the computer heavily, some light edits/work so I don't spend absurd amounts of money on it, i just upgrade to the highest end consumer grade platform available at the time of my upgrade. And whichever platform is the latest/greatest in about 2 years (since I've had my pc for about half a year+), thats the one i'll buy. I rarely do upgrades, so if I am getting a new CPU then I might as well just build a new computer with it.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I am running three rigs, and have given one to Family. My first build ever, had a 6400x2 B.E. and gave it to my parent-in-laws. My build is a Phenom II 940 B.E. water cooled and see no reason to upgrade anytime soon. My girlfriends build is a Q9550 and In truth I built this one to give to her, but really I built it to make a hackintosh on.

The new X6 from AMD looks temping but I think I am gonna wait for at least a year or two before I upgrade or build a new rig.

I have built three rigs in the last three years, I am happy with them all.