Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GEFORCE GT 240 COMPATIBLE EARTHWATTS 380 POWER SUPPLY

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2010 6:44:10 AM

Hello,
In a question about switching PSU DATE 03-28-2010
technobot asked which power supply would be appropriate for a GeForce gt240 1Gb gddr5 card . Two replies suggested a power supply that would be ok ---- Earthwatts 380 --- I have an Antec case NSK2480 with a power supply -- Earthwatts 380 -- I had been looking at the Geforce GT240 Low Profile by Sparkle as a suitable video card -- BUT --- the card spec published by New Egg suggests that it requires "300 watt power supply with a minimum 12Volt Curent rating of 18 Amps " -- whilst the spec for the Earthwatts 380 says that the 12V rails have 17Amps .Would this 1Amp difference -- could it -- or would it prevent the card from functioning under all cicumstances ??
This requirement of 18Amps seems a bit confusing as the card manufacturer -- Sparkle states that the card maximum power draw is 58 watts--- which at 12volts is just under 5 amps -- so why would the spec require 18 amps ??
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
May 23, 2010 1:53:34 PM

Your PSU can easily handle that and much better cards.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 164 ) Power supply
May 23, 2010 2:55:56 PM

Asif23 said:

This requirement of 18Amps seems a bit confusing as the card manufacturer -- Sparkle states that the card maximum power draw is 58 watts--- which at 12volts is just under 5 amps -- so why would the spec require 18 amps ??

because manufacturers don't want to deal with their cards blowing up with crap PSU so they come up with absurd PSU requirements. They all do it, and they seem to be getting worse year after year.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 164 ) Power supply
May 23, 2010 9:24:12 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with gpu manufacturers at all.

It's psu manufacturers that exaggerate the power of the psu. They measure the watts at a different load or temperature (cheat) so that they can label a 380w unit as a 500w unit. This fools the consumer into thinking they are getting more power for their money.

Therefore the card manufacturers have to tell you to use something more than you need because a cheap 500w psu put's out less than 400w of power. Not to mention they don't know if your running a quad core or a single core, so they have to give power requirements that will run nearly all systems and the card, just to cover their bases.

1) you contradicted yourself since you state video card manufactures have nothing to do with it and then state they "tell you to"
2) you just said exactly what i said, the video card manufacturers need to cover their ass because of crap PSU manufactures

m
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 23, 2010 9:44:09 PM

Asif23 said:
The spec'd 18Amps covers +12v requirements for the entire system - not just the video card. That might be what is confusing you when you look at the +12V1 17Amp rating.
Depending on which model of Earthwatts 380 you're working with you could have 27Amps or 28Amps of total combined +12V. Of which the GT 240 needs only 5Amps.
May 24, 2010 2:54:41 PM

Best answer selected by Asif23.
m
l
June 5, 2010 1:34:56 PM

jyjjy said:
Your PSU can easily handle that and much better cards.

Hello There
Thanks for this hint
In your opinion -- what would be the upper limit for a graphics card using this power supply [Antec Earthwatts 380W] -- in the Antec NSK 2480 Case ??
Could the new PowerColor HD5670 Extreme 640 SP be consIdered ?? -- or the radeon 5750 ??
Further to this --
I am sure that there are many people who would appreciate card manufacturers listing the exact dimensions of their cards on their websites ---
Digging out the critical information seems to require visiting many websites -- most of which are not very helpful
I had been considering one of the Sapphire Ultimate cards --- but it seems that they are just a bit too tall/high to fit -- the card seems to be a standard full height card -- but the heatsink above the card seems to be too much for this case -- likewise Asus 9600 passive cooled card--- and the gigabyte 9600 passive cooled --just a bit too long

Does anyone have any experience of successfully fitting one of these into the Antec NSK 2480 CASE ??
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 139 ) Power supply
June 5, 2010 3:17:17 PM

Welcome back Asif23;
You can read the customer reviews from people who bought Antec NSK 2480 case on NewEgg.
A lot of them will mention what they're using inside the case and what they think of the case.
Some examples:
Scythe mini Ninja CPU heat sink
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 - yes, thats a 4870! OK, so he had to do a bit of a case mod to attach the power cables.

The Earthwatts 380W will cover the HD 5670 and HD 5750. The 5750 only uses around ~20-25watts more than 5670.
5750 does get quite a bit warmer in use and also needs a PCI-e power lead from the PSU.
Antec website does show the case/PSU has a PCI-e power lead.
I know you're working toward a silent PC but I'd suggest a fan model of a 5670 or 5750 in that small case.
And look for a model with the full double slot shroud that funnels the air out the back of the case.
You don't want your video card cooler dumping warm inside the case if it can be helped.
Example: HIS HD 5670 IceQ

And I think any 5670/5750 will be short enough to fit in the case - just make sure that any cooling solution doesnt extend upward from the top of the actual card itself.

m
l
June 5, 2010 11:29:31 PM

Thanks for that info.-it was exactly the detail that I needed to finalise upon the type of card to buy -- with a fan -- but hopefully a quiet one. In your opinion is there very much difference between the noise of HIS card and the same cards from Sapphire -- particularly when idling-- I have read some reviews that describe Sapphire cards as very quiet but only the HIS cards are described as "the quietest fan cooled card I have ever held !" - trouble is that here in Rep. of Ireland -- Sapphire cards are easy to find -- but even the resellers described by HIS never seem to have HIS cards in stock !! As far as I know New Egg only distribute in USA .
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 139 ) Power supply
June 6, 2010 12:28:00 AM

Sapphire would be a good choice.
It's usually right at the top of the list when people recommend ATI cards.
It looks like all of the 5670/5750 cards are very quiet.
HIS 5670 and a MSI 5670
and a HIS 5750 compared to a Sapphire 5750
Power consumption for the Sapphire 5750 show here
m
l
!