Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Phen II X4 955 BE Stock HS Fan runs loud

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2010 8:23:59 PM

Hello,I have installed the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE along with its stock cooler on a MSI 760 GM-E51 MB. Installed windows 7. The CPU fan is really LOUD. I haven't overclocked it at all. Any help please..I'm worried..I checked the BIOS and loaded Optimized defaults, touched parts, no heating..
CPU temps at idle as per AMD Over Drive are 37.5..
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2010 8:31:43 PM

How fast is the HS fan running?
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2010 8:34:00 PM

If you're not getting that info from your motherboard utilities you can download HWMonitor
How did you attach the HS fan's power lead?
Score
Related resources
August 28, 2010 8:43:03 PM

WR2 said:
How fast is the HS fan running?

Thanks a lot WR2.Appreicate it..I don't know how to attach ..can you please see this link below from my otehr post..

http://www.pchelpforum.com/processor-cpu/94991-amd-phen...

Please let me know if you can't i will reply

However, I installed the hw monitor.

I see two fans in there..

Under Fans..

FANIN0
Value - 6072 RPM
Min - 6024 RPM
Max - 6072 RPM

FANIN1
Value - 1377RPM
Min - 1374 RPM
Max - 1377 RPM
Score
August 28, 2010 8:45:06 PM

WR2 said:
If you're not getting that info from your motherboard utilities you can download HWMonitor
How did you attach the HS fan's power lead?

The HS had a 4 pin small connector that I plugged onto the MB's instructed location of CPU fan...
MS is msi 760gm-e51
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2010 8:55:26 PM

That's a fast spinning CPU fan - over 6000rpm.

When you checked the BIOS - what version was it?
There is a BIOS version 1.6 that is needed for X6 CPU support.

Score
August 28, 2010 9:32:53 PM

I updated the BIOS to v 1.6. Still Fan runs at full speed....any other thoughts
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2010 9:39:09 PM

Do you have Cool and Quiet set to on in the BIOS?
I'm starting to think you might have a bad fan.

Last testing option I can think of. Power down the PC. Detach the power cord.
Take the battery out of the motherboard and wait a couple minutes.
Reinstall the battery, plug in the power and test again.
Score
August 28, 2010 10:23:03 PM

WR2 said:
Do you have Cool and Quiet set to on in the BIOS?
I'm starting to think you might have a bad fan.

Last testing option I can think of. Power down the PC. Detach the power cord.
Take the battery out of the motherboard and wait a couple minutes.
Reinstall the battery, plug in the power and test again.

I tried this now. the PC started, gave me two beeps then on the main very first post page it said CMOS not set do F1 t reset or F2 to do....

At this time, the CPU fan was super quiet. Then, I changed the date settings in BIOS, saved, restarted the PC, as soon as I saw windows logo starting up...it (cpu fan) started increasing...and then on the desktop it returned to same noise level..again I disabled cool and quite..but no luck

Checked the Hw Monitor, the CPU fan was running at 6172 RPM (equal to Max value)
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2010 11:28:25 PM

harsh716 said:
At this time, the CPU fan was super quiet.
If you go back in to the BIOS setup and hang around a while (4~5minutes) does the fan stay at the quiet (normal) range?

Choose the "Load Fail Safe Defaults" and use that for testing.

In the H/W Monitor section of the BIOS. Is CPU Smart Fan Target set to disabled?
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2010 1:55:58 AM

6000 rpm is not normal?

i have the 965 and the stock fan hits 6000 rpm once in a while.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2010 6:41:48 AM

Important
To ensure that Cool’n’Qu et funct on s act vated and
w ll be work ng properly, t s requ red to double con-
firm that:
Run BIOS Setup, and select Cell Menu. Under Cell
Menu, find AMD Cool’n’Qu et, and set th s tem to
“Enabled”.
Enter W ndows, and select [Start]->[Sett ngs]-
>[Control Panel]->[Power Opt ons]. Enter Power
Opt ons Propert es tag, and select M n mal Power
Management under Power schemes.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2010 6:42:48 AM

You also want to go to the BIOS and load fail safe instead of optimized. If that doesnn't make a difference on the fan speed then go back to optimized.
Score
August 29, 2010 4:53:27 PM

Hi Friends, here latest UPDATE :-

What I've done so far - Upgraded BIOS to latest version. Reseated memory, CPU Fan connector, Video card, CMOS Battery. Then, lastly, went into BIOS, Select to Load Failsafe defaults. Then, when started the PC again, Fan was same. When, I shut down the PC, wait for an hour or so, start the pc again, the fan is quiet for about 5-10 minutes. Then, again it was same..

Then, I opened AMD Overdrive app. Under Performance Control > Fan Control >, the FAN0 was set to 'Manual' with the slider at 100%. The CPU tmp was 37 to 43 C (apprx). I set it to 'Automatic'. The fan became silent. I was happy. But, I saw the CPU temp went up to 80 C. Then I chose Manual with Slider at 70% and the Fan became a little louder..

Then, I went to BIOS, (Fan loudest), Loaded Optimized defaults, confirmed that the AMD Cool n Quiet was set to automatic. Then, in windows, opened the AMD overdrive again (Fan in loud state) and changed FAN0, FAN1 and FAN2 to be 'Automatic'. Fan became silent. It is in same state right now. The CPU temp is 55 C~. Other temps are in screenshots. But this doesn't stay always like that. Once I restart the machine, it again becomes loud. Again I have o go to AMD overDrive and make FAn0 automatic and it becomes quiet..

Since I'm a beginner, I request you all to see my most recent CPUID HW Monitor screenshot and advise if there is something wrong and I should be worried about and what should I change immediately. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of buying an aftermarket CPU Cooler (AM3). I heard good about Cooler Master Hyper N520 ..but I don't if it will fit or not since Memory slots are too close on my MB (MSI 760GM-E51)..I would appreciate if you give any comments regarding this.

Following is Picasa Public gallery that you will find my machine and couple or recent screenshots. If you have any questions, please post reply or email me directly at harsh716@yahoo.com.
http://picasaweb.google.com/harsh2209/PC?authkey=Gv1sRg...

Thank you very much!!!
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 29, 2010 5:21:18 PM

That's looking much better! 1185 rpm vs 6600 rpm.

I noticed low temps of 40C and most recent temps of 53C.
Had the computer been under some load when you took that HWMonitor screenshot? Or were those idle temps?

Here is a review of the Coolermaster Hyper N520 CPU cooler.
It should fit easily into your case NZXT Gamma case.
Score
August 29, 2010 5:27:11 PM

WR2 said:
That's looking much better! 1185 rpm vs 6600 rpm.

I noticed low temps of 40C and most recent temps of 53C.
Had the computer been under some load when you took that HWMonitor screenshot? Or were those idle temps?

Here is a review of the Coolermaster Hyper N520 CPU cooler.
It should fit easily into your case NZXT Gamma case.

But this doesn't stay always like that. Once I restart the machine, it again becomes loud. Again I have o go to AMD overDrive and make FAn0 automatic and it becomes quiet..
These temps were Idle, just MS word open...
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 29, 2010 5:30:58 PM

AMD Overdrive; is that something that came with the MSI motherboard or did you download and install it?

I think dumping AMD Overdrive utility software is the next testing option I'd suggest.
Score
August 29, 2010 5:41:01 PM

WR2 said:
AMD Overdrive; is that something that came with the MSI motherboard or did you download and install it?

I think dumping AMD Overdrive utility software is the next testing option I'd suggest.

The AMD OverDrive came in the MSI CD. I have seen a couple of replies around..that AMD's Stock HeatSink is often/ mostly LOUD..I'm gonna go to Frys and pick some good heatsink..
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 29, 2010 5:49:07 PM

It should only be loud when needed. It should, most of the time, run slower and quieter than it's doing for you.
And your idle temps should probably be in the mid-to-high 30s at idle.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2010 6:31:52 PM

At Fry's, be sure to pick up some Artic Silver 5 for yoiut thermal paste! 80C on AMD's stock HSF is on the very high side. Are you sure there was some thermal paste when you installed it?
Score
August 29, 2010 6:41:45 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
At Fry's, be sure to pick up some Artic Silver 5 for yoiut thermal paste! 80C on AMD's stock HSF is on the very high side. Are you sure there was some thermal paste when you installed it?

Yes there was a layer on the stock HSF out of the box. I bought an Artic Silver 5 paste ($8). I removed the default coating from the stock HSF and applied AS 5paste's think layer. Then on the CPU, applied a small dot (rice gain size) in the center and installed the HSF.
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 29, 2010 7:16:20 PM

harsh716 said:
I removed the default coating from the stock HSF and applied AS 5 paste's think layer. Then on the CPU, applied a small dot (rice gain size) in the center and installed the HSF.
That's not the approved method of AS 5 application.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2010 5:09:24 AM

harsh716 said:
Yes there was a layer on the stock HSF out of the box. I bought an Artic Silver 5 paste ($8). I removed the default coating from the stock HSF and applied AS 5paste's think layer. Then on the CPU, applied a small dot (rice gain size) in the center and installed the HSF.

You're gonna need more than that for that CPU.
Score
August 30, 2010 8:01:31 AM

After all attempts, I finally purchased Cooler master Hyper N520 cpu cooler and installed it. So far, at idle state, there is hardly any noise. I guess the noise is just that anyone can tell that the pc is running..its not super quiet at all. But, FAR BETTER than before. please see images from CPUID HW monitor and Speedfan.

Link to the images - http://picasaweb.google.com/harsh2209/PC?authkey=Gv1sRg...
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 30, 2010 3:41:07 PM

Ok! Idle temps in the low to mid 30s!! That's more like it.
And no 6000 rpm jet turbine sounds.

What method of AS 5 application did you use?
There is a chance the prior problem was too much AS 5 by applying it on the heatsink and on the CPU as well. Replacing the stock compound with AS 5 wasn't required and probably the reason there was too much.
Score
August 30, 2010 5:35:27 PM

I went to Arctic Silver's website and in a PDF say the Instructions. They tell to 'tint' the CPU cooler's copper surface using a plastic or hard paper card. Then on the installed CPU put a blob of the AS 5 paste (black pepper seed sized..). Then, hook on the cooler...

Well all that I know is that I did the same with the earlier one, perhaps better than this time..Now, it is good so far..I'm feeling positive since I continued to use the PC for sometime, played COD MW 1, watched some hd videos etc..it was stable..
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 30, 2010 6:29:38 PM

You're right about the AS 5 recommendation. It seem's it's changed in the recent past.

Did you notice the load temps and fan speeds while gaming?
Score
August 31, 2010 5:11:40 PM

WR2 said:
You're right about the AS 5 recommendation. It seem's it's changed in the recent past.

Did you notice the load temps and fan speeds while gaming?

No, How can I do it?..Do I need two monitors...?
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 31, 2010 5:43:52 PM

Run your game in windowed mode. Or you can just Alt+Tab to cycle through your running programs till you have your temp program pop in front of the game.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2010 8:23:45 PM

It's easier just to use core temp and have it record the temps and loads on a log that you can review either immediately (ie after a crash) or later to see the peak temps if no crashes.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2010 9:56:38 PM

Had a feeling his stock hs wasn't fitted properly. :p 
Score
!