deertroy1

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
I have a new ASUS P8P67 motherboard with an i7 2600 cpu. I have 4x2g of Gskill F3-12800CL7-2GBEC0 memory installed. The memory is from two different lots. I have been having a very difficult time trying to get this memory to run at 1600. Before this board I had a P7P55D-E board and had no problem getting the same memory to run at 1600.
So far I enabled the XMP setting but the system would not post. I then increased the Dram voltage one step at a time from the spec voltage of 1.35 until the system would post at 1.36875. I then ran memtest for 5 passes with no errors. However, when the computer tries to boot I get BSOD. I then increased the voltage to 1.375 at which point the computer will post and boot. However, I ran prime 95 and (stress test only) and it only ran for a short time and reported errors and the icon turned red.
I am not interested in overclocking. I only want to run my memory at the advertized 1600. I've read that maybe I should increase the VCCIO but I don't know what that is or should I just increase the DRAM voltage further?
I must say I had an ASUS P7P55D-E board prior to this one and it seemed way less tempermental than this board!

Solution
I get what XMP is, isn't and can or cannot do, and I don't recommend it for 4X_GB or 6X_GB depending upon the MOBO.

BIOS:
AI OC Tuner -> Manual
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 8
DRAM RAS# to CAS# -> 8
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 8
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
-
DRAM Command Rate -> 2N {2N is more stable}

DRAM Voltage -> 1.35~1.40v {closest values}

If you're still unstable:
VRM Spread Spectrum - > Disabled
CPU Spread Spectrum -> Disabled

Chances are the CAS 7 is causing the BSOD/Shutdown. The difference is for selling the RAM a 'CAS 7'; I don't like RAM with loose CAS especially if too low and not 1.5v on the P67 or 1.65v on X58 at Rated Speed > 1333MHz + ultra low voltage + worst...
By two different lots, I assume two kits of 2X2GB. First it's best not to mix even sets. Next XMP only, usually, works for 2 sticks not 4. A link to your RAM would be helpful; it seems like this is an OEM set.

CPU: | Set1 | Set2 | Set1 | Set2|

I don't see those sets listed on G.SKILL's website, so via Google:
1600 7-8-7-24 @ 1.35v {voltage from you}

BIOS:
AI OC Tuner -> Auto
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 7
DRAM RAS# to CAS# -> 8
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 7
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N {2N is more stable}

Then Manual it needs to be.

BIOS:
AI OC Tuner -> Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 7
DRAM RAS# to CAS# -> 8
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 7
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N {2N is more stable}

The range if DRAM Voltage needed to be stable, RAM has a tolerance range of ±0.2v, and by 'closet values' I mean the voltage range available per the pop-up. Example if there's not a 1.40 but there's a 1.39--- then that's the closest value available.

DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N ; a/k/a DRAM Command Rate

In addition, if you're still unstable:

Every MOBO + CPU + RAM combination makes it impossible to say use 1.36784v exactly.

However, the goal is to find the lowest & stable voltage possible. Further, if as I mentioned, you are filling all of the DIMM slots every MOBO can have a slight voltage disparity or voltage drop between DIMM slots and if it's insufficient either the BIOS will shut the DIMM slot off {lost RAM} to avoid damage/errors or you'll get Post Failure or BSODs.

Afterwards, run Memtest86+ for at least 4-pases.

Good Luck - Let me know!

deertroy1

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
I tried your above settings. Actually XMP setting sets everything as you described except for the Dram voltage and CPU Spread Spectrum -> Disabled so I used the XMP setting.

I have changed the dram voltage and I am now at 1.3875. Memtest completes with no errors but prime95 only runs about 4 minutes before shuting down or rebooting. I have also noticed that under the thread column when I first start prime95 it says unable todetect some of the hyperthread logical cpu's. I haven't tried disabling CPU Spread Spectrum yet.
I'm about to try 1.39375

I get what XMP is, isn't and can or cannot do, and I don't recommend it for 4X_GB or 6X_GB depending upon the MOBO.

BIOS:
AI OC Tuner -> Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 8
DRAM RAS# to CAS# -> 8
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 8
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
-
DRAM Command Rate -> 2N {2N is more stable}

If you're still unstable:

Chances are the CAS 7 is causing the BSOD/Shutdown. The difference is for selling the RAM a 'CAS 7'; I don't like RAM with loose CAS especially if too low and not 1.5v on the P67 or 1.65v on X58 at Rated Speed > 1333MHz + ultra low voltage + worst with high density.

Solution

deertroy1

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
I don't know what you mean by this.
The difference is for selling the RAM a 'CAS 7'; I don't like RAM with loose CAS especially if too low and not 1.5v on the P67 or 1.65v on X58 at Rated Speed > 1333MHz + ultra low voltage + worst with high density.

I increased the voltage to 1.4 and have been running Prime95 now for almost three hours with no problems.

If you don't like this particular RAM, what would you recommend for this P67 board (preferrably GSkill)?

Happy to hear it's stable! :)

What I meant by 7-8-7* vs tight/JEDEC 'Standards' of CAS {8-8-8, 9-9-9, etc} is that the RAM IC really isn't 'designed' to run at example your case 7-7-7 so the alternative is to increase the tRCD {8} to hopefully reduce the errors but to keep the 'CAS 7' rating for a selling point. Often the 2000 MHz this same gaming is played to 9-10-9 {CAS 9} when really the JEDEC standards begin at 10-10-10 similarly for 8-8-8 with 1600 MHz.

There are also non-JEDEC like *XMP standards that can be in some cases problematic. In the 8-8-8 suggestion it is a more feasible number to workout and doesn't push the IC to the point of failure with 1600 MHz. Further, where 2X_GB might have a lower error rate 4X_GB pushes both the CPU IMC and RAM IC. Most importantly, you're stable and the differences are less than 1%.

DDR3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM#JEDEC_standard_modules

Hopefully, the link and my attempt at an explanation helps.

Good Luck!