DDR2 Hardware Still good enough for you?

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I feel that DDR2 systems are still as good now as DDR3 reason being games do not require that much resource and my question is why the urgency to upgrade is it to be performance hungry and why so hungry?or to look good?

if you already have a decent system with DDR2 its fine, if you are buying a new system there is no reason not to get DDR3 as its about the same price now

btw, i am still running 8GB(4x2GB) DDR2-800 and it is fast enough (though i have it running at 922)

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah i fully understand the fact that DDR3 has a higher bandwith and hence performence is better i don't know so much about the prices being the same as the mobo's are a little higher in price and if going DDR3 best to get a decent mobo 4 slots for ram 2 pci express slots for graphics cards i feel a person should wait till the bitter end when DDR4 comes out in 2-3 years time then DDR3 will cost as much as what DDR2 hardware costs

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Unfortunately you can't use that logic in the computer world. If you wait for DDR4 (which will be who knows how long away, DDR2 came out in 2003, and DDR3 just came out last year in 2009), then you'll just think "I better just wait until DDR5 comes out...". Unfortunately you just have to bite the bullet and buy the hardware.

Looking at how much I spent on my computer compared to how much an equivalent system now would cost, I kick myself. But hey, I can still play any title, and I just need to OC a bit to get even more performance out of it. If I never bought it back then, I would have never gotten anything.

well, even DDR3 motherboards really don't cost that much more either (really you are looking at AMD or LGA 775 for comparison)

i agree with the 2 pci-e slots, anyone building a gaming build should go for it, the boards can be found cheap

as for DDR4 vs DDR3, well get there when it comes, though if history is any indicator, DDR3 will plummet (maybe not as much as DDR2 did) and DDR4 will be expensive and over time the will even and then DDR3 will get more expensive as it turns into a legacy memory type (look at the prices of DDR right now)

as a history example, i bought my PC in April 2009, i got 8GB(4x2GB) for $70

btw, if you wait for DDR4 now, when it hits you will probably wait for DDR5 (or the next best thing), right now though for AMD users looking to buy right now, make sure to get an 8 series north bridge possible Bulldozer compatibility)

DDR3 has a higher bandwidth, but not necessarily better performance because of latencies since they go up as speed does (ie CL4 DDR2-800 has the same CL delay as CL8 DDR3-1600)

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah i agree 100% but thing iv always noticed and i had computers in my life sin P1 that as soon as you buy the pc jack it up everything hey here something faster and better can't seem to keep up and tired of people telling no buy this its better and im like but why for what reason would i need all that computer starts up just as fast as this games run just as fast as yours to me its just to be the best so when you take your pc over to couple friends you not discouraged by what you have i think best to do is do things in modderation cause if you go big to fast you land up kicking yourself when as you finished building your case up something better and most likely was 100 bucks more is better than yours

cmcghee358

Distinguished
It's not about a professional way of writing. But just re-read your last post and it's literally rambling. I got 2 lines in and just stopped reading.

Maybe it's just me, but when I am reading I actually hear it spoken in my head. Imagine someone is talking to you without taking any breaths moving from one topic to another without stopping.

It's not an attack on you(although it was sarcastic as heck) but realize that how you present yourself in written form, on this medium, is perceived by most to be indicative of your intelligence level.

Maybe it's just a stereotype, but that's just how I am. Now I gotta spell check my post so I don't look like a fool.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
No your right,When im on something that i feel should be the right way of looking at something then someone tells me otherwise well emotion gets involved,can't beleieve i typed like a retard apologise for that sometimes i get ahead of myself,lol,so what you think about the first post regarding the subject?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
It's a trade off, because now you're faced with AM3 boards supporting USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB/s. So it's no longer just about DDR3 vs DDR2.

Coupled with support for future processors.

I think looking at just DDR2 vs DDR3 you're right. But all the other perks I think justifies an upgrade. At least in my mind.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah core i series and so forth,im not disputing the fact that chipsets have advanced and speed of sata or really anything has increased,fact remains to me that if we all about gaming as such its the urgency of getting the best not so much for the games and we all want to be future proof,Now as much as we all agree and disagree on all aspects this thread needs some more input,I see the point but ask yourself this "if i just wait a year imagine how cheap the parts may become"instead of going ape in other words go for glory prices are to high

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Ok i need more coffee a bit of it ran off there again,lol,ok cmcghee358 i compliment you on the AMD processor i like intel but same token im tired of them constantly changing there CPU's as per socket size changes where'st AMD doesn't go overboard

cmcghee358

Distinguished
What you're asking is. If I buy last generations top build will it be competitive? Yes it will be.

But what people do their builds for is for future proofing. They intend to purchase now and avoid buying for 3-4 years.

Those that constantly upgrade have the money to do it I guess. More power to 'em.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah suppose so ok i won't lie this is my specs as i didn't feel it was essential right to go all out on DDR3:

Core2 Quad Q8400 2,66 4mb L2 cache
4 Gb DDR2 RAM 800 MHz
G41-M7 Mobo Biostar i know ( Budet board got dx 10 on board graphics )
1,5 TB HD 7200 Rpm Sata
Dvd burner 22x speed Sata
4000 RPM HxHf Cooler
Raidmax Skyline Gaming Case ( Budget i know )
Nvidia GTX 260 896 448 bit Gcard

I don't disagree with your position in general, but I was not aware that DDR3 just came out "last year". :heink:

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Although DDR3 was launched in 2007, DDR3 sales are not expected to overtake DDR2 until the end of 2009, or possibly early 2010, according to Intel strategist Carlos Weissenberg, speaking during the early part of their roll-out in August 2008

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
But what from what i read DDR2 is not going to disappear anytime soon,Ofcourse slowly we will all fall through the transition of change,Regarding CPU's yes we all must now move to i series socket 1156,1366,I mean the launch of Nvidia's fermi cant be disrespected with low end hardware but i still rate its all an image thing,Intel doesn't give us long enough to enjoy the hardware my opinion

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Ok did a little reasearch ddr4 will emerge 2012 in other words thats when it launches,Now i can safely say that waiting one more year will not kill me as games are not demanding,They said the Gaming companies will start taking advantage of the bandwith so ddr2 is still good as 2% difference

Intel's introducing new sockets so frequently has one advantage. It means that you have a new socket optimized for the new CPU and chipset. "Optimized" usually means "better performance".

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah but whole overhall required im not saying im poor can't afford it but one thing i can say AMD don't force you to change,im still all for intel even use intel but yeah lets breath a bit

I've got an Abit IP35 Pro with 4GB of DDR2 and a Q9450. As strong as the itch to build can be, there is nothing lacking in that machine's performance that justifies scrapping it. I'll never be able to [rationally] Crossfire on it at 16X,4X, but that 4X slot will be great for PhysX once nVidia decides to play nice with ATi.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
So you agree that games are not demanding and high end machines are for people you thrive on performence?

I mean whats the use DDR3 is still new and now there talks of the release of DDR4 isn't it better to keep your DDR2 Hardware till then?

well with the AM2/AM2+/AM3 there are new sockets if you are getting a new system which get the best performance out of the system, but also have the backwards compatibility so people who want a new cpu don't nee new motherboard and memory

and yes, high end machines are not necessary unless you want high (max) settings and good performance (45-50+ fps)
and as for DDR4, it will be the same thing, you won't get better performance and it will cost a bit more just to be future resistant that by the time DDR3 becomes too slow, you machine even with DDR4 will be obsolete (then again this goes back to the high end systems)

and for the record, the memory speed right now doesn't really matter for high end machines, ie i still run DDR2 but my GPU bottle necks me in games (i have 2 x 4870 1GB, about 5870 performance)

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Ok mindless lets safely say if you got the greens go for it if not hope for it,at the end of the day its better just to settle with what you have and when you can go big