Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cpu temperature problem

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2010 2:04:21 AM

i am running an AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX at stock speeds.

my CPU temperature in coretemp reads as like 45 Celsius average, which is somewhat high for my liking, as this is an idle temperature, and when all cores are in use the processor gets close to 60 celsius. i don't know if it's bad for it to run that high idle or not, but i feel as though it's probably not a really good thing.
the same reading in easytune 6, is 33 Celsius.
when i go into the bios, it usually reads the CPU temp as 36 Celsius.
i'm trying to figure out which temperature reading i should go by, the coretemp one, or the easytune one.

also, a few days ago, the CPU temps in coretemp were reading as low as 17 celsius average idle temperatures. i decided to attempt to overclock the processor, and did a small amount (one, two hundred MHz), but i changed all the values back to how they were when i purchased the processor.
i dont think that overclocking, and then turning back the values, would make the core run at a higher temperature, but i guess i don't really know a whole lot, and could be wrong.
any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 29, 2010 2:19:38 AM

60 C fully stressed is decent, under 70 is good for most processors.

For the temps readings, I would trust the BIOS one, but other than that Core temps should be pretty accurate, though with the AMD its the temps for the whole package.

OCing should have no effect on temps when you clock back to normal, unless you overvolted too high and had crashes.

Regardless, mid-30s are fine for idle + stock cooler.
September 8, 2010 1:39:44 AM

Best answer selected by bronzelightning.
m
l
!