Crink78

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Looking at Mobo's for the 1155 P67 and notice a trend with where they are placing the PCI-E slots. Almost all I have looked at have the slots right next to the PCI-Ex16 slot either right above or below. Given that the GFX cards I am looking at take up 2 slots, that leaves me either the top slot or 2 slots down... either way puts whatever I use in that slot up against the GFX card.

So my concern is I have a PCI-E sound card. I normally like to space these things out so the GFX card can get some air flow but the boards I am looking at like the ASUS PRO force me to place them together. Any idea why they would do this? Should I even be concerned with the heat of having them side by side? Any mobo's out there I should take a hard look at that might better meet my needs? $200 is my max for a mobo but since I am not planning to run SLI, I really would like to avoid getting something with a lot of extra features I will never use and spend a little less too.

My thinking now is to hold off a another month or two and see what else might come out so I can space them apart.

Crink78

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
I was not aware I could put a PCI-E 1x into a 16x. Is there a down side to doing that? That is a huge help and completely changes the way I can look at these boards.