Asus P8P67 Pro just installed - a few questions for you guys

miss mouth

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I just got my new and hopefully improved Asus P867Pro motherboard and built my new system. I just had a couple of questions for you experts out there...

1. In the BIOS screen, under the SATA configuration, the only drive that shows up there is my DVD drive which is plugged into a SATA 3gb/s port. My hard drive, which is a 6 gb/s drive, is plugged into one of the blue ports for the 6 gb/s speed. My system is working perfectly fine, but how come for every single port it says "not present" except for the port the DVD drive is one?

2. I don't understand the whole "Raid" thing. I want to have the best, optimal speed posible for the hard drive connection. Right now it is on the AHCI mode. Do I really want to do the "RAID" thing, and if so, what is it, and what am I supposed to do? (By the way, I don't know if it means anything, but in the device manager of windows, it shows my hard drive as being a SCSI drive. I thought SCSI was old school..?)

3. What the heck is TPU and EPU and do I want these to be enabled or not?? I am not an overclocker by any stretch. I don't monkey with stuff that aint' broken. So, as a normal user, are these two items something that are wanted or not? The book that came with Mobo is not exactly an explanatory guide...

4. Last, when I first boot up, I get this wierd double up on the boot screens. I get the Asus splash screen, then the black screen that shows text, like drive detected and such, then it will kind of start all over, and give me another splash screen and go thru the whole process again. If i hit delete on first splash screen, to get into bios, it does absolutely nothing. I have to do that in the second splash screen. Its not a tragedy or anything - but it is kinda annoying. Anyone know why this is happening or what i can do to stop it??

Thanks in advance for any help.

1. The MoBo manual should address where in the BIOS you will find settings for the SATA III devices which will be on a different controller.

2. RAID requires more than one storage device "of like kind". In other word, two or more SSD's, two or more similar HD's; you haven't indicated amything which suggests you are in a position to use RAID.

SCSI is for applications requiring superior performance and is generally today referred to as SAS or "Serial Attached SCSI"

3. I'm sure these are well explained in the MoBo manual but TPU and EPU stand for Turbo Processing Unit and Energy Processing Unit.

4. Can't help ya

highpsi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Well I am by no means an "expert" but....

I get my P867P board tonight, and I've downloaded and read the manual already so maybe I have an idea.

In the guide, it states the SATA 6 connections are the Intel [gray] and Marvell [navy blue].

You didn't state "navy blue" specifically although you say you're in the blue connector. If you are in fact in just the "blue" connector, you appear to be in the SATA 3 connector.

Hopefully that's all it is!

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I get the splash screen twice as well (sabertooth p67) and I had a non-b3 p8p67-m pro which also displayed the splash screen twice. I'd like to figure out how to eliminate this as well even though its really not a big deal....

highpsi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Same here. The double splash screen and for some reason the first one always says no hard drive detected, though my drive works fine.

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
The double post has been a problem with a lot of the P8P67 boards, including both my original P8P67 Pro B2 and my current P8P67 Deluxe B3. If you go to the ASUS member forums it's a frequent topic of discussion. One suggestion that seems to have worked for others and myself for the P8P67 Deluxe is the following:

"To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release."

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4712067&postcount=

For the P8P67 Pro, I think it was simply a matter of flashing to the most recent BIOS and clearing CMOS, but that was a B2 board.

Hope this helps.

Plug your hard drive into the gray SATA3 ports. Those are the Intel SATA3 ports, which perform better than the Marvell SATA3 ports (navy blue). If you do this, your hard drive will show up with your DVD drive.

RAID is Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks/Drives. It takes multiple drives to form an array. Leave it on AHCI.

Your hard drive shows up as SCSI because it's on the Marvell SATA3 ports. To the system, the Marvel controller is a SCSI controller. It's not, but it appears that way to make the drivers work right.

I'll leave this one to those who have first-hand experience.

If you move your hard drive to the gray (Intel) SATA3 ports, you can disable the Marvell controller in the UEFI. I have seen other posts that say doing that eliminated the double boot.

cpayne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
For your first question. Have you installed the Marvell drivers? I had drives on those ports too and the system could not find them. Upon reading the manual I found that to use those ports you had to install the drivers and now everything is working on my system.