Broken 4890 for a new 5770

G

i sent my 4890 to the manufacturer for a new one then ill just try to sell it, however 5770 is a downgrade to 4890, even with dx11, should i be considering crossfire x, so two cards? or just one for now.
i play games like bad company 2, mass effect 2, ill be playing almost all the dx11 games

G

i buy cards from best buy, so i think ill be a good idea to keep 5770 and see if its good enough,especially on the dx11 games, then in a year or even less, ill get crossfirex because 5770 would drop in price by that time.
do you also think i should oc the card to its limits? im scared if it shortens the lifetime of the card because my 4890 died from overheating over 100c

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
The 4890 is horribly hot from the start, unlike the new 5xxx series witch tops at 77c at full load. You have plenty of room to oc the 5770 without voltmoding, so the card has a lot of potential for overclock. It's a great card, also cheap, and if you plan on playing newest games at maximum graphic options, and high resolutions, crossfire and oc will be a great performance line out.

G

okay ill just overclock it to the limit on ccc overdrive, what are the normal temps?

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Idle temps depends a lot in the case you have, load temps at default clock and voltages are 77c on most demanding games, like crysis, stalker.....The safe temps, well 105c, but it is best not to surpass the 85c wall.
That's with the fan at automatic, if you were to manually control the fan speed, temps will greatly decrease.

My HD 5870 stays at 76c at full load with 31% of fan speed(auto controlled) at 45% fan speed temps stay at 65-70.

Hope it helps.

G

i heard that msi afterburner can oveclock the gpu to the farest limit, even more than overdrive, should i use just overdrive or msi afterburner

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
MSI afterburner unlocks un-official overclock of ati cards, but if you don't have experience doing so, is best to work with overdrive. MSI afterburner let's you surpass the 900 core clock speed wall of 5770, and let's you increase voltage witch allows for more stable overclock if you wanted, say get to 1000 core clock.

Note that overclocking through overdrive wont do much performance increase, but it is a nice increase.

If you plan on playing at 1920x1080 at mass effect etc, I think you will be better of with 5770 crossfire, witch as I said will copy the 5870 performance(more less).

G

i wont be buying another one this year because the price is too high, $200, so im going to oc with overdrive and see the performance, then i might check out msi afterburner, however, will oc great affect the lifespan of the card?

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
No, unless you increase voltage and/or you reach high temperatures such us +85c, witch can be done through MSI afterburner.

Using overdrive or even MSI afterburner without unlocking unoficial overclock(if you don't unlock it, MSI afterburner will let you overclock as far as overdrive does) is what most call it "the safe overclock".
Keep in mind that not all cards are the same, even when the model and ensambler is, not all of the cards will overclock the same.

But most of the reports say that it can easily reach the 900 core clock.

G

is 900mhz official or unofficial? and is unofficial safe? i think 900mhz is passing 4890 stock clock, which is good because first when i got my 4890, once i overclock it, i crashed.

G

is that faster or at least close to xfx 4890 stock clock

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Here you have a nice review of a HD 5770 of MSI that comes overclocked from 850mhz to 875mhz. The charts show an 2-4 fps increase overall to a stock 5770.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-r5770-hawk-review/11

Yet at 900mhz, I don't think it will surpass the 4890 on most cases(at dx11 it may surpass it alright), but overclocked will show a difference of -2/5 fps vs the 4890.

If you take on account the new tech of the 5xxx cards, 2/5 fps less than 4890 is not important at all. I would go with the 5770 without thinking twice(you can also look for 5770 OC'ed card versions(sapphire, asus, MSI they have a nice overclocked cards with custom coolers) ).

Note that if you buy an OC'ed version of 5770, when you decide to crossfire it, you will need to buy the same card as you did(not obligatory but recommended), also OC'ed versions with custome coolers, will work cooler, witch in the future, if you wanted to do a unoficial overclock, you will have a lot of heatroom to work with.

The 4890 is perfectly fine. It doesn't run any hotter than the 4870. I used to have a 4890 which idled at 50 and topped out at the mid 70s. Many 4890s can overclock to 1GHz core.

My only complaint is some of the reference stock coolers are loud if you turn up the fan speed.

G

just got the card, played 3 games for 1 hour each, and the temps were
95c bad company 2, all settings highest, no aa, dx11
93c mw2, settings all maxed
93c mass effect 2, settings all maxed
all at full load
in all three games, average temps are around 80 to 90
too high?
temp while browsing web-high 50s low 60's with fan under 45% (auto)

G

BUMP, in mw2 im only getting 78c at full load, in games like mass effect and bfbc2 i get to like 90c, but average is around 85c, any temp problems? fan speed around 50 to 70%(auto)