Closed Solved

Power Supply Question

Well i've got a fresh built pc, but the psu i bought for it was DOA(Corsair650TX) so im RMAing it. While I wait for the replacement i'm using an Antec Earthwatts 500W. What I want to know is can the Antec safely power all my parts if I were to play a typical 3d mmorpg game, thats not very graphic intensive at all. Game is Global Dekaron if that helps.

My parts are:

GPU: GTX 460 1GB Superclocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130567&cm_re=EVGA_GTX_460_1GB-_-14-130-567-_-Product

MOBO: ASROCK 870 Extreme3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198&cm_re=asrock_870-_-13-157-198-_-Product

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945 Deneb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103809&Tpk=945%20deneb

RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260&cm_re=corsair_xms3-_-20-145-260-_-Product

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&cm_re=samsung_spinpoint_F3-_-22-152-181-_-Product

Case: Coolermaster 690 II Adv (Fans and some LED)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216&cm_re=coolermaster_rc_692-_-11-119-216-_-Product

And some ASUS DVD Drive.

I'm currently typing from said computer, but have only important software, drivers, ventrilo, and my browser running/installed. Would it be safe to increase the power output by playing low-medium requirement games, or should I wait?

PS: The Antec Earthwatts 500w that I have is an older model(silver/grey), not the newer(dark green color) one that you would find on newegg if you searched it now.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply question
  1. Best answer
    Yes it should play fine, EVGA states a 450W PSU is required so it will work. I wouldn't try any OC'ing until you got your new PSU however.
  2. +1^
    It should work fine without any problems, you can play games and do everything you want, you can even do a minor OC,but i wouldn't recommend more.
  3. What if I were to play a more graphic intensive game such as a game that uses the Unreal 3 engine? Also my GPU comes overclocked so..is that a factor?
  4. Zakume said:
    Well i've got a fresh built pc, but the psu i bought for it was DOA(Corsair650TX) so im RMAing it. While I wait for the replacement i'm using an Antec Earthwatts 500W. What I want to know is can the Antec safely power all my parts if I were to play a typical 3d mmorpg game, thats not very graphic intensive at all.

    Not a problem, the 460 uses around the same power as a 260.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252190-28-antec-review
  5. Alright, so at this time with the Antec, with no overclocking(except for the pre-overclocked gpu) I should be able to run everything fine?
  6. Zakume said:
    Alright, so at this time with the Antec, with no overclocking(except for the pre-overclocked gpu) I should be able to run everything fine?


    Should be fine -- as the others have stated the spec calls for 450W and even that is a bit overrated to allow for those PSU's that are made that do not perform to spec -- so with a decent 500W unit you'll be fine (though I'd still get the 650 in there when you get it back just for the extra overhead it provides !!
  7. It seems like you should be OK for the moment with your 500W. How many watts does that 460 gobble up?
    If you have any peripherals, USB devices, secondary or tertiary monitors, etc; that you don't need, just disconnect 'em
  8. dorker said:
    It seems like you should be OK for the moment with your 500W. How many watts does that 460 gobble up?
    If you have any peripherals, USB devices, secondary or tertiary monitors, etc; that you don't need, just disconnect 'em


    Nope, only usb devices i've got are a mouse and a headset, only 1 monitor as well. I believe the 460 that ive got outputs about 177w under full load iirc from the benchmark articles etc.
  9. Best answer selected by Zakume.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product