Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Dual Channel
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
March 31, 2011 9:13:39 AM

i recently purchased an additional 8gb of ram in 2 4gb ddr3 sticks to add to the ram that i already have. they are as follows:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ( i realized i linked the wrong ram originally, this is the correct ram, only difference is that the timings match)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
here is the motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

they were working perfectly until a couple days ago, recognizing all 12gb of ram. i recently added a new heatsink to my motherboard. Some time after that, it started to only recognize half of my total memory. I am running Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

I have tested each stick seperately and come up with no errors im memtest86+ I also have to mention that i did, when i first start trying to find the problem, run into a couple errors when testing the ram in dual channel, but it followed a crash of my computer. Which is another issue i have run into, repeated crashes of the OS.

When I look into the BIOS at the memory installed just testing one set of dual channel it recognizes both stick in their proper dimm slots(1 and 3), but only enables one stick in the slot between the two where the memory is placed, so in this case dimm slot 2.
ex|2gb sticks in slots 1 and 3, the BIOS shows them in those slots and has 2gb enabled in slot 2.

latests changes I can remember would be:
added a new heatsink to my motherboard.
installing asus doctor utility to OC my graphics card.
installing msi afterburner to OC my graphics card.
installing advanced system care 3 pro 3.8
removing the requirement to login when starting Windows 7.

any help would be much appreciated, and thank you community ahead of time :) 

More about : dual channel issue

a b } Memory
March 31, 2011 12:25:14 PM

Does all 12Gb register in your bios? What about in CPUz or something similar?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 12:43:41 PM

I am guessing that mixing CL7 and CL8 sticks is not a good idea.

Why not ask the pros here at Gskill? Sometimes it takes them forever to reply and when they do they are curt, probably because they are busy, but, they know their stuff.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2011 5:31:00 PM

Noworldorder said:
I am guessing that mixing CL7 and CL8 sticks is not a good idea.

Why not ask the pros here at Gskill? Sometimes it takes them forever to reply and when they do they are curt, probably because they are busy, but, they know their stuff.

What is really confusing is I am now only using the 2 sticks of 2gb and it recognizes both sticks but only enables one of them.
It does this with both sets of memory, and CPUz recognizes the ram as well.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 8:07:12 PM

All I can think is that you could kill the power, pull the battery, clear CMOS, then reboot repeatedly with one stick of RAM each time. If they all work, try two at a time, if one stick suddenly doesn't work in the second slot, something is wrong with the MB.
m
l
March 31, 2011 11:40:04 PM

when I went and removed one of the 2 sticks i had installed, and rebooted I got an error in my BIOS saying that there was a change in voltage or something, and it had to reset some settings.
Then, when i switched from one stick to the other, i got the same error:
The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages.

last settings in this page may not coincide with current H/W states.

I started testing all the ram, and from what i can tell now, The BIOS recognizes the memory, but only enables the memory for slots 3 and 4, and shows them enabled in slots 1 and 2.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 11:44:46 PM

Well....did it boot?
And, you will need to give us the exact messages it gives you so we can help.
1337dedrea said:
This tells me you did not clear the CMOS as I asked you to.
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:14:33 AM

Noworldorder said:
Well....did it boot?
And, you will need to give us the exact messages it gives you so we can help.
This tells me you did not clear the CMOS as I asked you to.

this is the exact message I got.
1337dedrea said:

The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages.

I pulled the battery and then reset the CMOS page to fail safe defaults.
It boots now, but i only have memory in slots 3 and 4.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 3:07:38 AM

I'm real sure the second set of RAM is not compatible with the first because they have different Cas Latencies. Can you return them and get the same as your first set? Which I believe are CL8...
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:22:03 AM

I doubt that that is the problem. They were working fine together for about 3 weeks before all this started to happen. The difference between CL7 and CL8 is minuscule.

It seems more like an issue with the mobo because neither set works properly in dual channel. only slots 3 and 4 are working properly.

This is what CPUz shows for both sticks of 4gb ram in slots 3 and 4:

It has a weird max bandwidth value

m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 10:26:57 AM

Well, CMOS has been cleared so it's not your OC. Unless you have loaded a rogue, defective custom BIOS then....
Something wrong with MB.
m
l
April 1, 2011 6:45:48 PM

Is there any way that I can test my mobo to find where the problem is on the board and fix it?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 11:10:26 PM

I'm sure soneone around here knows how, but I am not aware of a way for this particular issue.

I still don't get it; putting one stick of RAM only, in the #1 slot, and the system does not behave properly? You say only 3 &4 are working....is that right?
m
l
April 2, 2011 3:20:00 AM

for my board, slot 3 is basically slot 1.
the slot order is : slot 2, slot 1, slot 4, slot 3. There must always be a stick of ram in slot 3 to boot. If i put a stick of ram in either slot 1 or 2 when i have a stick in slot 3 I get the error message I posted above the first time i boot into bios, but the every time following it is gone. whenever i put ram in slots 1 or 2, the ram is recognized but not enabled. Only ram from slots 3 and 4 can be enabled.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2011 10:30:52 AM

When you put two sticks of RAM in, they should go into either the blue or the white slots - I have not pulled up your MB manual as I don't have time now to read it but I'm sure blue is preferred, otherwise there must be something wrong with that MB.
Assuming each stick boots by itself in the first blue slot, and assuming you are not mixing RAM types, speeds, timings, makers, etc.
m
l
April 2, 2011 7:11:42 PM

The white slots are preferred on this board. The real first slot is the far right slot and it is labeled as slot 3, many 1156 socket boards are like this.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2011 8:15:41 PM

The only available conclusion I can reach is that the MB is bad.
Were I in your situation, I suppose I would order one, try it, return it if necessary.
m
l
April 18, 2011 1:07:12 AM

Alright, well I took the time today to remove the new heatsink that I installed weeks ago, and put the old one back on just in case some how that was causing the problem. Well some how it was the problem. I don't know how i could have installed it wrong, but It doesn't seem worth it for me to mess with it again. I have no plans on overclocking my computer a lot any time soon. So I'm just going to let the computer be for now.

Thanks community for all your help.
m
l
!