Process bottlenecking or something else?

Easlay

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
First off, the specs:

Dell Inspiron I1520 laptop
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0 Ghz
RAM: 2gigs
Video card: nVidia 8600m GT

If more info is needed please let me know

So anyway the problem... I really don't know how to describe it so I'll do my best.

When I first get to desktop it will simply stop loading everything and kind of pause. There's like this weird "eeeh *pause* eeeh *pause* eeeh* sound that I think is coming from the hard drive. This can go on for somewhere between 2 to even 10 minutes at a time. I originally thought there was to much being loaded on start-up so I went into msconfig and turned off all the undeeded stuff.

This helped for awhile but then it started doing it again but this time at seemingly completely random intervals and not just on start-up but while Firefox was open and even in games. When it happens in Firefox/IE/Palemoon the browser will stop working and when I click anywhere in the window it will change to all white with "Not Responding" and then it will kick back up again in a minute. There will be times where I go a full week and it doesn't happen and then I'll get it for 2 to 3 days straight.

All drivers are up-to date and I have run a system defrag as well as a virus scan, uninstalled things I hardly used and the list just goes on for how I've tried to fix it but nothing really seems to be working.

The sound that I can hear I can't really describe very well so I'm at a loss as to how I can further give any details...

If anyone can even remotely help with this it would be very appreciated. This is driving me insane!

G

This is an easy one.....

Vist 32bit on Inspiron laptop.....

Problem solved.....

Seriously whats happening here is vistas crappy HDD usage and the fact that the Inspiron has a slow HDD.

Turn of Prefetch, Superfetch and disk indexing, Run Ccleaner and disable all unwanted Startup items, (ccleaner will show you more than msconfig)..

But the very best solution is to remove Vista and go Windows 7 or back t XP if you must really...

Windows 7 will run a hell of a lot better than Vista on your machine, this is a promise!!!!

Easlay

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Alright so a little update

I turned off Pre/super fetching no problem and restarted and that seemed to not do anything so I picked up CCleaner (As embarrassing as this is I actually didn't know it was free...) and gave it a whirl and something interesting happened when I was messing with start-up list.

Well I decided to check each start-up process one at a time which ended up taking about 2 hours but I think I found the culprit. It was Adobe Speed Loader, which seems to have bee causing the issue. I restarted a few times to make sure and so far so good.

As for Windows 7 I don't really have the extra $ to spend right now. Ugh... (But its a beautiful OS and I'll be grabbing it the first chance I get)

Thank you for the reply and I'll keep it updated if it happens again.