Sign in with
Your question

Asus M4A87TD Startup Problems

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 31, 2011 12:20:04 PM

Hello there and I just got all my new parts for my computer and am having trouble with it. The following is a list of my parts:

Asus M4A87TD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5Ghz, Quad-Core, 8.0Mb Total Cache, Socket AM3
3x 2Gb DDR Corsair XMS3 (CMX6GX3M3A1333C8)
Nvidia GTX 460 Graphics Card 1024Mb GDDR5
OCZ Fatality 750W Power Supply
Western Digital 1.5Tb Sata Hard Drive
CD/DVD Burner Drive from my old computer

Problems:
No POST

Nothing appears on the monitor

The DRAM_LED Lights up when I start on the computer then turns off.

The CD Drive appears to not have power despite hooking up a cable from it to the Graphics Card. (It won't open up or blink its LED light)

Startup gives me 1 Long Beep,3 Short Beeps and then another beep after about a 2-3 second delay after hearing the 1 long and 3 short. I cannot find the beep code table in my manual.

Random Notes:
I have tried booting with 1 stick of RAM and I get the same beep message. Removing all the RAM gives me a different message. I think it was like 1 Long 1 Short continusously.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I have an IDE cable connected from my motherboard (blue) to the CD Drive (Black). The CD Drive does NOT have a SATA port. My Hard Drive is connected with the Sata Cable and placed in slot one for the Sata ports on the motherboard. I also connected the front panel SATA port to the second Sata port on the motherboard.

***EDIT***

Found the problem through more trial and error. The Graphics Card I ordered was DOA. This took me 3 times of swapping graphics cards back and forth to finall get a POST.

More about : asus m4a87td startup problems

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 2:07:13 PM

There is more than one error here; at least two errors.
First off; I don't know your BIOS but 1 long, 3 short beeps is bad memory or MB.
I would completely disconnect that PATA drive for now; I have seen MBs try to use it as a HD with an OS no matter how BIOS was set. Why not give that thing to a friend and spend $20 on a SATA interface drive.
Here is a listing of beep codes by BIOS (not all-inclusive) to help you diagnose your problem.

The 1 ong, 1 short was probably "no RAM".
m
l
March 31, 2011 2:27:10 PM

With more troubleshooting, I finally got down to the bottom of it all. The Graphics Card was DOA and was not providing power to anything despite having its fan running. I am currently using an older graphics card and the motherboard recognizes my IDE CD Drive and Sata Hard Drive. I believe I will invest in a SATA CD Drive though even if I don't need to since the computer is working right now.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2011 3:08:02 PM

New problem, now the computer won't recognize my Hard Drive to install. Suggestions? It just recognized when it started, and then it 'vanished' I guess is the best way you could say it. I got an error while installing windows saying the hard drive is no longer there. I tried installing Windows XP and after it initializes everything, the computer brings me to a BSOD. Would my hard drive also be faulty?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 7:56:17 PM

Go into device manager, uninstall the HD, shut down, disconnect power, pull the battery and clear CMOS, redo everything.
m
l
!