Sign in with
Your question

Best 5770 Card to Buy

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2010 5:47:57 PM

Hey guys!

I'm going to upgrade my video card and i have my sights set on grabbing a 5770 (up from a 9600GT)--it's the best card within my price range.
However, I'm not 100% sure which brand/model to buy. I plan to overclock as much as I can and play the newest games at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

I think I've narrowed it down to the 3 cards with the best coolers, please let me know if i am right or if i really need one of these 3 (is it much different than a powercolor for 30$ less?).

HIS IceQ 5 Turbo
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
MSI Hawk
or Sapphire Vapor-X

Here are the rest of my system specs
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H Mobo
Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.15GHz, OCZ Gladiator 92mm Heatsink
2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 810MHz
Hitachi Desktar 500GB HDD
OCZ ModXStream 600W PSU

This card will kinda be the end of upgrades to this system. Probably in 6 months, I will spend ~1500$ canadian and build myself a kick ass rig, but for now this is my only option. Just letting you know, because things like crossfire and DDR3 RAM won't be an option for this system.

Thanks in advance guys!

More about : 5770 card buy

a c 376 U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 5:59:59 PM

The Hawk would be the best choice, especially if you are overclocking but honestly I don't think any of them are worth their price. I would just get the cheapest card of a decent brand. Looking on newegg.ca that seems to be this one at the moment;
If you are into overclocking as you say then the HD5830 is actually a reasonable choice if you can bump the budget up a bit. It's not worth the price difference over the HD5770 at stock but it can generally overclock to a much higher degree, up to and over 1ghz like the HD5850/70. At those speeds it delivers performance similar to a stock HD5850 on the benchmarks I've seen.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 6:22:42 PM

jyjjy said:
The Hawk would be the best choice, especially if you are overclocking but honestly I don't think any of them are worth their price. I would just get the cheapest card of a decent brand.

That's debatable, since asus has voltmoding capability, and MSI, sapphire and other brands have custom cooling solutions... If you buy the cheapest card, you will run into

1; Heat, witch can be solved by having the fan at 100%(to damn noisy)

2; Heat, witch can be solved by buying a custome cooler(witch you will have to install yourself and it will become a lot more expensive than if you buy a specific brand OC'ed solution card, that has custom cooling solution.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 6:28:25 PM

The Hawk allows for voltage modification as well and the cooler is supposedly significantly better than the CuCore.
The HD5770 is quite low power and heat/noise is not a very significant issue with the card using the reference cooler.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 6:31:07 PM

jyjjy said:
The Hawk allows for voltage modification as well and the cooler is supposedly significantly better than the CuCore.
The HD5770 is quite low power and heat/noise is not a very significant issue with the card using the reference cooler.

Sorry, didn't mean the Hawk itself, but the remark of "I would just get the cheapest card of a decent brand."
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 6:45:46 PM

Yeah, I don't believe the other cards are really worth the extra $30-40

@OP: Your current system is actually still pretty decent. Your motherboard can even handle the new 6 core AMD chips with the latest BIOS update. You may want to consider just spending more for an HD5850 for now(can OC a huge amount) and hold off on a full system upgrade for a while. Maybe upgrade the processor in a while but a full rebuild doesn't seem very necessary to me.
May 24, 2010 3:40:25 AM

i am very satisfied with this system, yeah. but it's actually a family computer, and i want to have my own and leave this one for my brother. i just wanted to make sure he's set for the future kind of thing. i have considered the 5850, but the reference designs are 320$ CAD, and that's a out of my range. thanks for the advice though, the full new build may be staved off for a whole other year, depending on my personal work load.

but where do we stand with the video card again?
i get the feeling that the general consensus is that the custom cooler editions aren't really worth the extra 30$ or more. In that case, how does powercolor stack up, i notice they consistently have the lowest prices.

thanks again all
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 12:15:20 PM

Powercolor is generally considered pretty sketchy when it comes to customer support. Their cards themselves are fine though I guess.
The non-reference cards are only worth it if you really want to overclock the card the most you can. In that case go for either the Hawk or the CuCore card as they allow for voltage modification for higher speeds.
May 24, 2010 3:51:57 PM

I would like to overclock as much as I can. The CuCore is on for 164.99$ after MIR. That's 20$ more than the reference HIS model (a 14% price increase). Do you think I will be able to get 14% more performance out of the CuCore.

I currently have an asus 9600GT, and monitor. they've both been very reliable and I've heard great things about heir customer support.

Is the final verdict than the CuCore or the Hawk for OCing?
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 4:47:41 PM

Looking it up I would say they aren't worth it, mainly because the HD5770 starts at such high clock speeds already(850mhz.) The architecture of the HD5700/5800 cards tends to max out at around 1000-1025mhz with the voltage bumped up. From the reviews of the standard HD5770s I am seeing on stock voltage you can OC the to around 930-960mhz already.
Also the fan/heatsink on the CuCore seems to be getting mixed reactions in the customer reviews on newegg, both for noise and heat. The DirectCu HD5850 they make is the best around and gets great reviews so that's disappointing(stock clocks on that card are 725mhz so an OC over 1ghz is enormous.)
The Hawk on the other hand is supposed to be very nice but it is pricey so you'll have to make that decision yourself.
May 24, 2010 5:58:03 PM

Hmmm, thanks a lot for the input. I think that I will wait a bit longer for a sale on one of the higher end cards, the Hawk in particular. If it drops to 170$ CAD, i will buy, otherwise, if I get on good price on a reference model, say 150$ or less, I will make that buy.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 1:48:01 PM

Eh, adding another fan is only going to increase the noise issue. I'd just get a reference card. The reference fan is decent and the card is quite power efficient so heat issues aren't very common. A bit more OC head room is nice but the amount you get from the voltage tweaking isn't huge on this card because of the high stock speeds like I said earlier.
If you are willing to wait a bit and save up some more the reference design of both the HD5830 and HD5850 allows for voltage mods and they have lower stock speeds so the OC you can get from it is more significant.
May 25, 2010 7:19:47 PM

Thank you for the advice. I'll likely get a reference card or try to find some extra cash. Cheers!
!