Your question

Where Does This Cable Go?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cable
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2010 1:53:01 PM

Trying to finish my first build, but I can't figure out where to plug the ieee1394 Firewire cable in. Does it go on the MOBO? I installed a Gigabyte GA-P55A_UD3 Core i5 750 MOBO, but I can not find anywhere on it that this plug should go. Since there doesn't appear to be a referrence to it in the MOBO manual, maybe it doesn't plug in to the MOBO? The ieee1394 comes from the I/O panel on my Coolermaster RC-690 case. It is a flat red wire with a 9-pin plug, that looks a lot like a USB plug.

Also, I installed a LITE-ON IHAS124-04 CD/DVD burner. My MOBO manual talks about plugging in the audio cable that came with your optical drive, and I can see where to plug one in on the MOBO, but apparently this CD/DVD drive did not come with one. Is that something you normally have to purchase separately?

Thank you for your help!

More about : cable

July 1, 2010 2:01:32 PM

i don't think that your mobo has a firewire header on it

audio cable? for odd? lol there is nothing called audio cable for odd
m
l
July 1, 2010 2:35:09 PM

For whatever reason, I am unable to get on the Gigabyte website from my work computer, so I will check out the Firewire issue when I get home. You are probably right about this MOBO though.
As for the other question, are you saying that a CD/DVD burner does not have/need an audio cable? Why is there a plugin for it on the MOBO then? I know that most player programs will get audio digitally through the IDE or SATA cable, so why is there even an option for one?
Thanks!
m
l
July 1, 2010 2:59:24 PM

Quote:
Many older systems require an audio cable to connect your optical drive's four-pin analog output to an output on your sound card so that you can play audio CDs on your PC. This approach yields fine audio quality for most of us, but it's not ideal: PC optical drives typically don't contain hi-fi-quality digital-to-analog converters. Some sound cards and most current optical drives allow a digital connection between the two devices, but this connection is seldom used.

Many newer systems do away with the audio cable altogether. Recent versions of Windows support audio-CD playback using digital audio extraction, which lets the PC read digital data directly from the drive and perform the necessary digital-to-analog conversion. The biggest drawback of digital audio-CD playback: If there's a headphone jack on the front of the optical drive, it won't work when you play a CD.

For anybody else seeing this thread, I found the above answer to my question at cnet.
m
l
!