Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wiping top of CM690 II Advanced with moist cloth

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2010 3:53:27 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to Tom's and I need help of a mainly psychological nature in a tech context. I suffer from severe ocd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_disorder). I need to wipe the surface of any object that goes into my room with a moist cloth. By moist, I mean cloth dampened with running water under a tap then squeezed so that when raised, water will not drip off the cloth.

I just received my newly built rig encased in a Coolermaster 690 II Advanced. Because the only preview I have of it was on the CM website, I wholly assumed that the top was actually a matte surface deliberately textured with indents for aesthetics. In my hurry to quickly compete my ritual of moisture application, I proceeded to wipe the top panel first. I was quite horrified when I saw that the watery "stains" produced were quite noticeable, and worse, the panel I had my cloth on was actually a permeable mesh.

This was the trigger for further panic. I began to imagine that the water stains may have seeped beyond the mesh and into the interior of the casing i.e. the motherboard and the gfx card. A family member proceeded to assure me that there is no chance in hell the watery stains could have gained enough mobility to "flow" into the little holes.

Logically, I understand that the probability of it is very low. But I have this need for assurance since I am going to rely on this system for years to come. If you understand my condition, I have some questions:

1. By proxy experience, if you used such a cloth to wipe the CM690 II advanced top panel, would the water be able to seep within?

2. I waited for a good one hour before switching on the system to test it. Everything seemed fine. If water had seeped through it, should something happened by now?

3. imagine if a sizable raindrop size of water had penetrated the interior. If it hits any of the parts (motherboard, gfx, or top panel fan), will they suffer damage later on?

4. If a droplet of water comes into contact with the motherboard, will leaving it to dry off mean that my system is "safe"?

5. In the future, how should I clean the top panel? Is it removable? How do I remove it?

Thank you for your help.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2010 4:13:13 PM

Water does not kill motherboards/CPUs/Electronics. Running them when they're wet and causing a short does. Technically, you could soak the Mobo in a tank of water, and as long as you dry it thoroughly before powering it up, you'll be fine.

If you're computer works fine then its fine. If it has water damage, then you wont be able to turn it on.

Next time, put a paper towel under it when cleaning or use those wet wipes they sell. However I don't see a reason of wiping it wet. A dry cloth would be perfect.
August 29, 2010 4:39:18 PM

Timop said:
Water does not kill motherboards/CPUs/Electronics. Running them when they're wet and causing a short does. Technically, you could soak the Mobo in a tank of water, and as long as you dry it thoroughly before powering it up, you'll be fine.

If you're computer works fine then its fine. If it has water damage, then you wont be able to turn it on.

Next time, put a paper towel under it when cleaning or use those wet wipes they sell. However I don't see a reason of wiping it wet. A dry cloth would be perfect.

Yep most "normal" ppl wouldnt see rational reason for wet wipes. I can rationalize that too, but the compulsion gets the better of me.
Score
Related resources
August 29, 2010 4:40:11 PM

Timop said:

Thanks tho, gonna look at those wet wipes.
Score
September 3, 2010 4:37:11 PM

Best answer selected by Freewill.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 4:44:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!