Max sequential vs sustained sequential

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Have 2 x 128 gig Curcial m4's plus 1 x 256 Gig M4.
Also have 2 x 128 gig Samsungs 830s Plus 1 x 256 gig 830.

Normally I recommend the 830 for desktop and the M4 for laptops.
Reason For m4 for laptops is lower read/write power consumption.
Samsung general gets higher "marks" than the M4 for benchmarks. HOWEVER in real life day-to-day usage not more than a nickels worth of difference. Might see a couple of seconds difference boot time, but programs load times do not think you will see the difference - Hard to see a 10->20 mSec diff (LOL).

Bottom Line, which do I buy at the time (m4 or 830) for a desktop really boils down to which ever is cheapest. Got both the 256 gig M4 and a 256 gig 830 from Newegg on sale for $180. CHEAPER than the first 128 gig M4 and 128 gig 830 that I bought!!!!

Added:
As above poster implied, Sequencial performance is NOT what you want to look at. Seq is the least important parameter for an OS + Program drive, Much more important for a storage drive. For OS + Program 4K random performance (read over writes) is what is important. Reason: if you look at OS + Program drive you will find Over half of your files are Under 32 KBs and only a small percentage areover 1 Meg, And they are Randomly scattered over drive.

TRENDING THREADS