demersjd

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I have the new Phenom II X6 1090T processer and the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard after building the system and turning it on, 90% of the time is goes to Gigabyte's menu. Trying to hit DEL to enter into the BIOS menu causes the screen to go balck and come back (sometimes) and other times it is like you hit nothing. Trying to hit F12 to change the boot order does the same thing. I swapped out the keyboard just incase and have the same results. I read many other cases online where is says that the motherboard will not read the X6 processor with out a BIOS upgrade. The problem is that I can't get into the BIOS to change the boot order. I have a DOS boot floppy and the new BIOS ready to go. I also made a CD with the same. I have tried to swap the memory to spots 3 4 instead of 1 2 and have the same results. I tried to unplug the SATA hard drive and SATA DVD drive hoping it might go to the floppy and no luck. I have tried a rregular floppy and a USB floppy. I have tried to reset the CMOS with the screwdriver, as recommended in the manual with no luck. The only thing that it does (sometimes) is go to a screen saying that I have had repeated boot failures and to hit DEL to enter BIOS to edit settings, but does nothing if you hit DEL(It says it sees it as an unknown AMD processor overclocked at 4.0 Ghz and 4 cores. Which would make sence if the BIOS does not recoginize the X6) Other times when I boot the screen says that it is updating the BIOS and after a couple of seconds, it reboots. Reading many blog sites I have done everything that I read, but get a x4 processer (about 3 guys said that they did this just to be able to turn it on and update the BIOS and then use the new X6 and return the old one, seems excessive) Can anyone help? Here is my set up:

-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (3.2GHz) AM3, Retail (Black Edition)
-GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4(rev 1.0) Socket AM3/ AMD 790X
-Super Talent DDR3-1333 4GB (2x2GB) CL8 Samsung Chip
-GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR5 2DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express
-Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z No PS Mid Tower Gaming
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA3 7200rpm 64MB Hard Drive
-Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE 22X SATA DVD+/-RW Internal Drive
-PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W

demersjd

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

From what I understand, you are saying to choose any version of Linux to perform the BIOS upgrade? How can I do this if it won't boot to the CDROM drive? If it booted to the floppy or CD I don't think I would be having any of these problems. I hope once the BIOS is updated, all of the troubles will go away. Let me know if there is a way to do that, maybe I am not understanding your comments. Thank you

demersjd

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Is the USB floppy OK or does it need to be the internal floppy? I built this for a family member and right now I am 1 hour away or else I would just try both. I did not have a floppy in here, I just put one in to resolve this issue. Pleas let me know your opinion. Thank you.