Solved

Complete system lockup (Help needed!)

Hello,

I just built a machine and every time I go to play a game, or perform a large task, it will lock up. This used to just happen on MW2, but it's now happening doing other things too (downloading game updates, performing high end tasks).

The PC is not overheating (45*C on high load, gpu reaches 50*C) and I have the latest drivers for all of my components. I did however have a startup issue at one point. The BSoD came up saying there was a MEMORY_MANAGER error. Restarted, and everything was alright... until it froze again in game.

Here are my specs:
+AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz
+Patriot 8GB DDR3 PC10666 Dual-Channel (4x2048)
+Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H Mainboard
+Seagate 7200 Barracuda Hard Drive 1.5TB
+XFX ATI Raedon 5770 (1GB)
+Thermaltake 850W Black Widow PSU
+Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

EDIT:
Basically what will happen is the graphics will freeze, no sound, no keyboard access (can't even turn NumLock off), and have to manually restart.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! I tried looking around on the fourms for similar issues, point me into the right direction if this has been double-posted.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about complete system lockup help needed
  1. Try memtest first off, make sure your rams fine
    Moto
  2. You want to start testing your RAM.
    Test 1 stick at a time and look for any that might be bad.
    Then do some testing, including stress testing of 4GB sets.
    Once you're stable at 4GB, go on to testing with 8GB.
    It might be that all you need is to add a bit of extra voltage to support the whole 8GB of RAM
  3. Ran a memcheck for 2 hours. No errors.
    Did a stress test at 4 GB after inspecting RAM, and it failed.

Voltage is currently set at 1.66V. Should I up the voltage? If so, how much?
  4. Best answer
    Stress test failure to me suggests a problem other than RAM. You can use a program like bluescreenview to get detailed info on crashes if you have it dumping. Check for any obvious physical damage to components, and check the voltages for the board and the power supply itself.
  5. get a temperature/voltage monitor such as hwmonitor. Check temps and voltages at idle and under load.
  6. Here is my system at idle load:

Now my definition of stress test is recreating the last scenario that caused it to crash. Should I test it in some other way?
    My case has 5 fans shooting air in and 2 going out + stock CPU fan (did have the Thermaltake Frio attached, but that yielded no results).

PSU output specs:
    DC output:................ +3.3V......+5V......+12V.....-12V......+5VSB
    Max Output Current......25A.......25A........69A......0.6A.........3A
    Max Output Power......-----160W-----.....828W....7.2W.......15W
    Total:......................... ---------------------850W---------------------

EDIT
    Running MW2:
  7. And here's the results from BlueScreenView:

Does ntoskrnl.exe have something to do with all the failing?
  8. Yes, 12.29 hehe, any chance of swapping that unit out and trying another psu at all?
    another thing I've noticed, your chip is a 125w, and hwm is showing your processor power reading at 139.2 W, I'm thinking that may be an issue :)
    Moto
  9. Motopsychojdn said:
    Yes, 12.29 hehe, any chance of swapping that unit out and trying another psu at all?
    another thing I've noticed, your chip is a 125w, and hwm is showing your processor power reading at 139.2 W, I'm thinking that may be an issue :)
    Moto

Lol, this is the second power supply I've gone through. First one arrived to me DOA, so I've been filling out a return procedure for it. This one however I bought locally, so it should be a little easier to return. Is there something els I can do before I go through another RMA?
  10. Taking a look at the BIOS, something smelled fishy... it was on Auto and it had a big red tag underneath:
    "May increase voltages to optimize overclock" (But I'm not OCing!)
    Should I lower these values?

Quote:
    CPU PLL 2.5 Volts
    DRAM 1.6 Volts
    DDR VTT 0.8 Volts
    NB 1.2 Volts
    NB/PCIe/PLL 1.8 Volts
    CPU 1.3
    (was set to 1.45, figured that was a little too high)

Another something out of the blue... I bought RAM with 7-7-7-20 timings, should I change these at all? Just forum searching and noticed a similar error with too low timings being the culprit. I'm an idiot to hardware. Software is a little more my comfort zone...
  11. Best answer selected by KyleisL33T.
  12. Found out what the problem was. Video card was shot. Noticed problems went away instantly the moment I removed the card from the system. I'm getting a return on the product, so we should be cookin' here soon! Thanks for all the replies and help.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Games