Clear coat + gray Residue

thieveryshoe

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hey gang,

I'm currently painting the side panel to my case and I've used several coats of a flat black enamel from a rattle can. I'm trying to put a a couple of coats of a flat clear coat (also rattle can) over it, but I seem to be getting some sort of gray residue afterwards. The residue has a bit of a rough texture to it.

I am spraying outside, but in the same conditions as I did with the black paint and I did not get any residue or texture, so I'm pretty sure I'm not picking up any airborne particulates.

Any ideas?

Worse comes to worse I'll wet sand the texture off after several clear coats and do a final coat in the flat black again.

Thanks again.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
just a word of advice, you may already know this, clear coats need to go in on very light coats. This might help you, or not if you already know this. Temps can also affect the drying process. Good luck

thieveryshoe

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Yeah I do know that, but I don't know if what I'm doing is considered light or not. I'll go look at it now that it's had some time to dry again, but I'm really disappointed at the moment and I may just end up using 7-8 coats of flat enamel paint in order to get a little bit of protection.