Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive Cable Question

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2010 6:19:05 PM

Doing my first-ever build. I have a question on the HDD cable(s);
I have the HDD installed (SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA 3.0 in the case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I have attached a SATA connector from the PSU to the back of the HDD. If I understand correctly, I must now attach a SATA connector from the HDD to the MOBO, using a SATA cable provided with the MOBO, correct? The MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 1156.
Thank you for your help!!
July 1, 2010 6:20:47 PM

You got it! Just as you said. 1 for power, 1 for data. Power from the PSu to the drive, Data from the motherboard to the drive. Rock and roll!

I love quick questions like this!
July 1, 2010 6:33:12 PM

Thank you very much for the quick answer cmcghee358!! I suspected that was the case, but wanted to make sure, lest I fry something.
Related resources
July 1, 2010 6:33:54 PM

Always better to ask than to make a 200 dollar mistake! Enjoy your build!
July 1, 2010 7:44:02 PM

Is this also true of the cd/dvd burner? Is there any other cable to hook up besides the power cable from the PSU?

Best solution

July 1, 2010 7:46:37 PM

Same cable set up for the DVD drive if it has the SATA hook up. Some are IDE. If it looks like the back of your HDD hook it up the same way :) 
July 1, 2010 7:48:17 PM

Yes, you should have a thin wide ribbon (I.D.E.) that goes from your drive to your mobo, sorry for short/incomplete answer, Im off to work in 5 minutes :)  check back Moto
July 1, 2010 7:52:19 PM

Sorry for the totally noobullar questions. I guess we all gotta start somewhere, right? Thanks again, guys, for the prompt responses!
July 1, 2010 7:53:14 PM

Best answer selected by kmorris_99.
July 1, 2010 7:55:03 PM

If you have any other questions we're here for ya!
July 1, 2010 8:19:34 PM

Ok, here's one for ya....
This will be the primmary computer in my house. It will have a Linsys router hooked up to it for a local network for the other computers in my house, that is provided by my internet provider. Should I have bought a ethernet card to put in this computer, or does the onboard LAN (Realtek 8111D 10/100/1000Mbps) provide everything I need? I assumed that since the Linksys router will be hooked up to this machine, then it didn't need a ethernet card. True or false?
I know, I should have asked this question before purchasing everything!
July 1, 2010 9:41:04 PM

kmorris_99 said:
Ok, here's one for ya....
This will be the primmary computer in my house. It will have a Linsys router hooked up to it for a local network for the other computers in my house, that is provided by my internet provider. Should I have bought a ethernet card to put in this computer, or does the onboard LAN (Realtek 8111D 10/100/1000Mbps) provide everything I need? I assumed that since the Linksys router will be hooked up to this machine, then it didn't need a ethernet card. True or false?
I know, I should have asked this question before purchasing everything!

Onboard LAN does fine, its gigabit, so more bandwidth than you could need!
July 1, 2010 10:26:48 PM

Hereisphilly said:
Onboard LAN does fine, its gigabit, so more bandwidth than you could need!

Thank you very much for the reply!!
July 2, 2010 11:36:17 AM

Glad you got sorted out man :) 
Moto
!