XFX Double Lifetime Warranty - buy in US, go overseas. Impact?

Darth Windu

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Hi folks,

I'm going on a trip to the USA (I'm Australian) soon and was wondering if anyone could answer my question about the XFX Double Lifetime Warranty.

Now I realise they have to be registered within 30 days of purchase - what do you have to tell them?

Also wondering if I would be able to get the lifetime warranty by virtue of purchasing the card in the USA, even though clearly I'd then be bringing it back to Australia.

Any info would be much appreciated. :)

Solution
The card has to be registered to a US address as the warranty is only valid within the United States. It clearly means that the card must be purchased in the US. It also strongly implies that it will only be serviced / shall be serviced in the US.

Shipping costs to XFX are paid by the warrantee (you), it is very likely you will be paying shipping both ways. If you take your US bought XFX card internationally then the following are very likely scenarios:

A. You need warranty service....
1. Send the card to the registered address (you pay international shipping charges)
2. The person in the US sends the card to XFX (you or that person pays shipping)
3. XFX will most likely require the person (most likely you) to pay return shipping

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Here's the actual Warranty from the site:

XFX warrants that the Product shall conform to and perform in accordance with published technical specifications and the accompanying written materials, and shall be free of defects in materials and workmanship. XFX does not sell its Product directly to the consumer therefore the warranty for XFX Products remains the responsibility of your reseller where you purchased the Product.

This warranty offered by XFX to its Resellers is limited to the repair and/or replacement, at XFXs discretion, of defective or nonconforming Product, and XFX shall not be responsible for the failure of the Product to perform specified functions, or any other non- conformance caused by or attributable to: (a) any misapplication, modification or misuse of the Product; (b) failure of Customer to adhere to any of XFXs specifications or instructions; (c) neglect of, abuse of, or accident to, the Product; or (d) any associated or complementary equipment or software not furnished by XFX.

Should you experience any difficulty obtaining a fair and proper warranty service from any of our Resellers please do not hesitate to contact us via the Support Ticketing System where we will do our best to help you.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED HEREIN, XFX MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO ANY EQUIPMENT, PARTS OR SERVICES PROVIDED PURSUANT TO THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NEITHER XFX OR ITS DEALER SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE AND STRICT LIABILITY), SUCH AS, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF ANTICIPATED PROFITS OR BENEFITS RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING OUT OF, OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF FURNISHING OF EQUIPMENT, PARTS OR SERVICES HEREUNDER OR THE PERFORMANCE, USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SAME, EVEN IF XFX OR ITS DEALER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL XFX OR ITS DEALERS TOTAL LIABILITY EXCEED THE PRICE PAID FOR THE PRODUCT.

Source: http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx?ispreview=true

XFX does ask for your "Region" and "Country". XFX's warranty is global, so it doesn't matter if you live in Asia, Australia, North America, etc. All you have to do is register the product within 30 days and you'll start receiving any support you need from XFX's web site. This includes your extended warranty. The only catch: If your card breaks and you want to claim it via the warrant, you have to mail it back "I believe" at your expense (although I could be wrong). You should probably double check with them directly.

Hope this helps!

Darth Windu

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Yeah I've read that, but it doesn't specify what happens to your warranty when you go from one region to another. In my case, that's from the US (double lifetime warranty) to Australia (2 year warranty).

This is the kicker right here,
*Double Lifetime Protection only available in North America (United States and Canada). Applies to select graphics cards products only. Restrictions and qualifications may vary based on state or region. See XFX Support section for more details on the Limited Warranty for XFX-branded products in North America. Warranty terms for other regions vary.

So basically i wouldnt hold out too much hope. they say you can sell or give your card to anyone and they are still covered but they again have to register the card and assuming they are not in North America (United States and Canada) the same as you wont be. I would be pretty certain they would require you to register your card at a known adress and as you live in Australis you would never qualify for the warranty in the first place.

Mactronix

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
What you COULD do is register the product as you live the US and use a friend's name/address/whatever. If you card breaks you can send the card to him to which he can send in for you.

Kind of a pain, but I guess it's a way around it.

The card has to be registered to a US address as the warranty is only valid within the United States. It clearly means that the card must be purchased in the US. It also strongly implies that it will only be serviced / shall be serviced in the US.

Shipping costs to XFX are paid by the warrantee (you), it is very likely you will be paying shipping both ways. If you take your US bought XFX card internationally then the following are very likely scenarios:

A. You need warranty service....
1. Send the card to the registered address (you pay international shipping charges)
2. The person in the US sends the card to XFX (you or that person pays shipping)
3. XFX will most likely require the person (most likely you) to pay return shipping
4. The person in the US at the registered address ships the card back to you (pretty sure he / she will want you to pay for the shipping).

B. Sell it second hand
1. That person must live in the US for the warranty to be valid. (You pay international shipping charges).
2. You can probably ship it directly from Australia to transfer the warranty w/o having to ship it to the US registered address.

Solution