Sign in with
Your question

Copy one partitioned hard drive to a new hard drive, windows 7

Last response: in Storage
August 28, 2012 1:45:42 PM

Hi
It seems my hard drive is slowly failing. How can I clone/copy it to a new hard drive? The current drive is patitioned into 3 partitions, the opperating system, Win 7 64 bit, a partition for applications and a third for data.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
a b G Storage
August 28, 2012 2:28:26 PM

Norton Ghost will do it for you.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 342 G Storage
August 28, 2012 4:01:53 PM

Many HDD manufacturers make available on the websites free downloadable utility packages that include cloning software. The trick is, usually they will make the clone ONLY to a new HDD that they made - they don't care whose older drive you are replacing. They just want to encourage you to buy your new drive from them. For example, Seagate has Disk Wizard, and WD has Acronis True Image WD Edition.

You have more than one Partition on your drive. When you clone this to a new one, the default usually is that it will copy ALL those old Partitions to the new drive properly, but with a small "catch" that might not suit you. They will do what is called "Proportional Partitions". That is, the space on the new drive will be split up in the same proportions as the Partitions on the old unit. For example, suppose your old drive is 1 TB with Partitions of 70 GB, 300 GB, and 550 GB. Further, the new unit is 2 TB. The default would be to create on the new unit Partitions of 140 GB, 600 GB and 1100 GB.

Now, that may not be your idea of the right way to allocate the new space. You might decide that the C: Partition with the OS only needs to be 100 GB, the Applications on the D: Partition don't need more than 500 GB, and the rest (about 1260 GB) can all go to the data Partition. Well, when the cloning software is getting itself set up, you do NOT have to accept the default layout. You can use the choices and menus to change it to what you want. Often, reading the manual on the software will help you understand and find these menus. So do that before using the cloning utility, and you can achieve what you want.

By the way, the Seagate and WD packages I mentioned both appear to be their customized versions of Acronis True Image, a very good utility that does a LOT more than just cloning. So again, read the manual and find out what else it can help with.
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 11:41:57 AM

Paperdoc said:
Many HDD manufacturers make available on the websites free downloadable utility packages that include cloning software. The trick is, usually they will make the clone ONLY to a new HDD that they made - they don't care whose older drive you are replacing. They just want to encourage you to buy your new drive from them. For example, Seagate has Disk Wizard, and WD has Acronis True Image WD Edition.

You have more than one Partition on your drive. When you clone this to a new one, the default usually is that it will copy ALL those old Partitions to the new drive properly, but with a small "catch" that might not suit you. They will do what is called "Proportional Partitions". That is, the space on the new drive will be split up in the same proportions as the Partitions on the old unit. For example, suppose your old drive is 1 TB with Partitions of 70 GB, 300 GB, and 550 GB. Further, the new unit is 2 TB. The default would be to create on the new unit Partitions of 140 GB, 600 GB and 1100 GB.

Now, that may not be your idea of the right way to allocate the new space. You might decide that the C: Partition with the OS only needs to be 100 GB, the Applications on the D: Partition don't need more than 500 GB, and the rest (about 1260 GB) can all go to the data Partition. Well, when the cloning software is getting itself set up, you do NOT have to accept the default layout. You can use the choices and menus to change it to what you want. Often, reading the manual on the software will help you understand and find these menus. So do that before using the cloning utility, and you can achieve what you want.

By the way, the Seagate and WD packages I mentioned both appear to be their customized versions of Acronis True Image, a very good utility that does a LOT more than just cloning. So again, read the manual and find out what else it can help with.

Cheers mate, I'll see which brand of ard drive I get and try thier cloning software.
m
l
September 2, 2012 4:11:16 AM

halo . im using HDD. c,d,e,f drive i want to merge them e and f drive. hows that possible . i have win 7 32 bit.
m
l
!