Netgear GS116 Gigabit router running at only 10mbps

axlf16

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
My network recently started running very slowly. I have 5 computers on the network and use one for storing photos. The 4 that I use to access the photos are all running at 10mbps. This seemed to happen overnight! I haven't done any recent antivirus or other software changes. Powering down and restarting the computers, switch, and FVS114 VPN firewall didn't help.

G

Check the ethernet port Properties on the one storing the pictures and make sure it's set to running at full speed.

G

Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Click on Ethernet Wired Network Controller (usually shown by brandname), Advanced, examine the settings.

axlf16

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Network Adapters, Click on Ethernet Wired Network Controller (usually shown by brandname), Advanced, examine the settings.

I'm not at that computer now, but I did check those settings. It is set on "Auto" and shows green light at 10mbps. I tried to set it to Duplex 100mbps and the connection failed and wouldn't reset. When I went back to the original settings the connection came back to 10mbps.

In network connections, when I disable and re-enable the connection it connects immediately at 1gbps, then I get the 'cable disconnected' pop up. It takes about 20 seconds to then reconnect at 10mbps.

I have the most up to date driver and there are no noted faults in the switch.

I appreciate your time on this!

G

Well, my port (on an ancient AMD 1.6 Athlon equipped motherboard) seems to be capable of 100.

So that may be an issue on yours. Are you confident that the cable are all okay.

axlf16

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Well, my port (on an ancient AMD 1.6 Athlon equipped motherboard) seems to be capable of 100.

So that may be an issue on yours. Are you confident that the cable are all okay.

I haven't messed with (or checked) the cables. The network was running fine until a couple of weeks ago so it was, at some point, capable of a higher speed. I don't think I did anything to the configuration or the machines that could have caused the problem?? I'm not sure if the switch, or a port, can 'go bad' and make this happen or if I've got a problem with one of my computers thats messing up the whole network.

G

It may be worth buying a PCI network card (NIC) as they are pretty cheap. The computer will allow two network connectors to co-exist and it may solve the problem.

axlf16

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
All of the computers were built with an additional PCI network card as a backup. I shut the system down and plugged into the PCI card and restarted. Everything is back up and running at 100mbps. It would seem that one of my network connections went bad?