RONNCC

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
So my hard drive just failed - mechanically, and I don't have $700 to recover data. Anyone know where to get cheap harddrives, preferably 2 500 gb ones. Last year I bought a harddrive 1tb for $40 before the flooding in Thailand; now it seems prices have doubled :( .

Also, what is the opinion regarding refurbished hard drives - I'm thinking that they will tend to have more issues.

if this is the same 1tb you just purchased last year it should be under warranty. if not check with the vendor some hard drive had 5 years and some had 3 years. it may still be under warranty.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
70.00 for new drive.
refurb going to have a shorter warranty. could have heads replaced or the bearing or logic board. or it could be a returned drive that tested good in house and then fails on you.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Refurbished hard drives are not recommended. Almost all reviews on refurb drives are all bad as in the drive doesn't work or they fail. Your not going to get cheap hard drives unless you use eBay.. but without proper tools and experience you may just want to get a new hdd all together. Shop around for one if you can't get the current one replaced. Also getting one with more then a year warranty is generally your best bet. If your using this hard drive strictly for storage, you may as well just get a blu ray burner or a dvd burner then burn all your data that way.

If possible, buying an internal hard drive is cheaper and less likely you'll run into hard drive failure.. just make sure the wattage on your tower is enough to supply another hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS