Solved

Need Suggestions for an ATI card and PSU for pre-built system

I got a pre-built system this past Christmas (as a gift) and I would like to upgrade the graphics card so that I can actually play games. I also know by now that I need a new PSU because the 300w PSU Dell gave me won't cut it. System Specs as follows:
Dell Inspiron 546
Mobo: AMD 780G Revision
CPU: AMD Athon II X4 630 @stock 2.8ghz
Memory: 4gb DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Graphics: Radeon HD 3200

(Not including HDD or Disk Drive because they really don't need to be mentioned)

I've heard Dell Cases are picky on what PSU's will actually fit in them so I'm probably just gonna go with getting a new PSU with a case.

I found this combo deal on Newegg.com
Here

My price range for the PSU (and case I suppose) and Graphics card are around $300 US dollars.

Like I said I just need suggestions and any help would be greatly appreciated.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need suggestions card built system
  1. I would get the 5770, or the 5830, but i dont rly recommend the 5830 just spend a little bit less and get then 5770 and later up the road get it xfired
  2. Purchasing and using a Raidmax PSU is a mortal sin. Good chance it will end up killing off your system.

    It appears to be a mini tower which means it might take a standard sized PSU which would free up the budget quite a bit.

    For the PSU the S12II from seasonic was a good deal, but unfortunately newegg bumped the price up to match the 550vx, either one is very good
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=550vx

    As for the GPU go for a 5770, the 5830 isnt really worth it right now and it generates a lot more heat and uses more power for a slight boost, its about equivalent to a 4890 where the 5770 is a 4870.
  3. So basically go with a ATI 5770? Should I go for the upgraded Black Edition or does it not really matter too much? I kinda want to get a case and PSU combo just to be safe unless someone can verify that a certain PSU will fit my case.
  4. any ATX PSU will fit in your Dell case, the only difference between a DELL PSU and an ATX PSU is the lack of an on/off switch on the back of the PSU.

    *you may have a BTX motherboard so getting a new case is a different story. BTX mobo will mount on the left side of the case as you face the front.
  5. Sorry I don't know what ATX and BTX stand for. Are they a specific brand or type?
  6. ATX and BTX are just form factors, the names dont mean much anymore, but the directly refer to the size of the board and how it is put in the case. Most boards are ATX or micro ATX, but some OEMs use BTX boards which required different cases.

    Generally its not worth paying more for OCed video cards you can do it yourself. The Vapor-X cards have a better cooler that will help if you plan to do significant OCing but in general the cards are all the same with some, like XFX, offering different warranties and bundled software.
  7. I'll pop open my case in a few minutes to see if I can see any brand logo on it, but I do know Dells now (we also have a Slim) slide open from the left panel (if looking from the front). So does everyone basically agree with what jyjjy posted as to what I should get?
  8. hunter315 said:
    Generally its not worth paying more for OCed video cards you can do it yourself. The Vapor-X cards have a better cooler that will help if you plan to do significant OCing but in general the cards are all the same with some, like XFX, offering different warranties and bundled software.

    I didn't recommend it for the factory OC or even the fancy cooler but rather because it is a great deal. The PSU is basically free after the combo discount and the rebates. You aren't going to find a better deal by going with a lesser card.
  9. Best answer
    azurehobo said:
    I'll pop open my case in a few minutes to see if I can see any brand logo on it, but I do know Dells now (we also have a Slim) slide open from the left panel (if looking from the front). So does everyone basically agree with what jyjjy posted as to what I should get?


    when you open your case check to see what side your motherboard is on. An ATX mobo has a video card installed fan side down, a BTX mobo has the card installed fan side up. Make sure you have the room for the card JYJJY recommended, it needs two free slots. The card and PSU are fine (PSU will fit with no issues).
  10. ct1615 said:
    when you open your case check to see what side your motherboard is on. An ATX mobo has a video card installed fan side down, a BTX mobo has the card installed fan side up. Make sure you have the room for the card JYJJY recommended, it needs two free slots. The card and PSU are fine (PSU will fit with no issues).

    It looks like an ATX by comparing the bracket openings.
    The card should fit the the case because its has 4 slots going top to bottom (PCI-E 1x, PCI-E 16x, PCI, PCI). And I have nothing in any of the slots. So do you guys think I should get this combo? Because the combo expires tonight (last date for rebate is today on PSU).
  11. its a good combo, with the instant & mail in rebates (even though i hate mail in rebates) you basically get the PSU for free (assuming rebates refunded)
    both OCZ and Sapphire sell solid PC components.
  12. OK thanks everyone I'll probably get this combo then. These forums always help me and I'm grateful for it.
  13. Best answer selected by azurehobo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics Product