Thermal grease on MB lg1155 pins.

sandybridge4core

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I managed to put to much grease on the cpu and some of the grease dripped down onto the first 2 rows of pins. I've read compressed air is one way to remove this grease but I'm worried it might bend the pins. I've dripped rubbing alcohol on it but it didnt seem to dissolve it at all. HELP!

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Thermal grease in non-conductive, so it shouldn't be an issue if it is between the pins as it should not short them out.
Its not ideal to have goop in there though, I'd probabaly want rid of it too.
I remember years ago I bought a Socket 939 X2 CPU that the previous owner had literally coated in paste, the pins were covered by a mm or two of paste on the underside. The pins on these CPUs were pretty fragile, not quite as fragile as an intel socket mind. The way I cleaned it up was to use a paintbrush, dip it in alcohol then do horizontal/vertical swipes down the pins until it was clean again. Took a little while, but crucially didn't bend any pins.
You'll probabaly want a fairly fine brush for a CPU socket, (but one with fairly rigid fibres too!) Go carefully, sweep in the direction of the pins and clean the brush regularly.

There are some thermal compounds that are electrically conductive, AS5 for example, so it could be an issue!

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Wow -- that is quite a pickle you are in. I'm not sure I would do the bristle brush thing that another poster recommended. That sounds risky as hell. The paint brush thing sounds pretty safe, though.

As a side story, I remember buying a used pentium 4 prescott that had thermal grease on the pads when I opened it. I was like "What the hell?" Given this thread and my eBay prescott experience, I guess people are generally not very careful with thermal grease.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Coincidentally, another user on this forum posted a topic (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289225-30-pins) about buying a new motherboard. The reason -- he bent his CPU socket pins trying to clean thermal grease out of them. Just wanted to caution you...

You may want to get in touch with that user to see where he went wrong with the cleaning process...

Thermal grease like Arctic Silver 5 is indeed conductive!!!

Don't use compressed air.

Use either Isopropyl alcohol 90%+, Acetone, or Compound remover http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

DON'T RUSH:
Get a ton of Q-Tips and soak the ends, ring on side of bowl {twisting/spining}. Next dab and carefully twist slightly clockwise & counter clockwise the compound off the CPU pins making certain not to snag them. Repeat until clean.

Allow to dry fully.

Good Luck!

sandybridge4core

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I managed to get it all out but now it's having the same heating issue it had before. I've tried the X method and covering it with a thin film method. One thing that stands out to me is the stock HS. The copper center is smaller then the proc. When removing the paste from the HS it was clear the copper is raised higher then the surrounding area. Any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS