Sign in with
Your question

Random Freezing (While Playing Games) Win7 64bit

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2010 11:04:03 PM

Hi All,
I just joined Tom's, but I've used the site for a while. The reason I just now joined is because I'm having a problem, and yes, I have searched far and wide for the reason, but have never really gotten a good answer.
The problem only really occurs whilst playing games, but it doesn't really apply to all of them.
I got System Shock 2 to run on my system, and It never freezes. It seems to only happen on more modern games.
I read some article somewhere that said It could be UAC, so I disabled UAC and Defender (only because I have Avast running, and 2 anti viruses are doing me no good).
Like I said, it's basically a completely random full system freeze when playing modern games. No Ctrl-Alt-Del, no Alt-Tab, the only thing that fixes it is a system reboot.

My system is as follows:

Windows 7 64bit
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor
Bios is stock
700WOCZ PSU
6 GB Ram (I have 1 stick of OCZ Platinum PC3 10666 7-7-7 @ 1.65v, and 2 sticks of Crucial 2 GB sticks overclocked to run at 7-7-7 with a couple notches into power)
2 ATi HIS 5750's Crossfire'd

Would appreciate any insight.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2010 12:09:14 AM

It's usually a RAM issue of some sort. With that odd RAM config I'd toss the OCZ and see if it works then. (and/or relax timings, etc)
m
l
July 2, 2010 5:15:27 PM

Have you monitored your temps? It may also be a CPU or GPU overheating problem. Modern games are more demanding than older games.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2010 3:52:31 AM

Its not a temperature problem, I have 2 case fans, and a huge heat sink/fan combo on the CPU. I tried the RAM, seems to have been a temporary fix, the freezes still happen, just not so often.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2010 1:35:09 PM

You tried pulling it out?

Or adjusting the timings to normal or less?

If you only pulled out the OCZ I'd try the other as well.
m
l
!