Networked PC lost connection internet connectivity

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I had my HTPC up and running last night, watched a movie, turned it off and went to bed. When I woke up this morning I found that I couldn't get any sound while playing videos through my web browsers, thinking it might be a video card issue I first checked some of my movies, but they also wouldn't play with sound so I deleted my nvidia files and reinstalled them. No luck, on one restart I lost my internet connection with my router. If I look inside the Buffalo's settings, I can see my HTPC's IP address (after running ipconfig /all on the htpc) I did a system restore but that didn't work. I even went so far as to do a clean install of Windows on the HTPC, but that also didn't work. I keep getting the yellow triangle and the message "unknown network" The HTPC tells me to check my router, which I have restarted a number of times unplugging the cable modem and the Buffalo. Turn on the cable modem get it online, then plug in the Buffalo, but nothing works. I have tried switching ethernet cables, ports, but no luck. Any ideas? Help?? Thanks in advance.

Both HTPC and Desktop are running WIn 7 64 bit

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Quite simply unplugged her from the TV, carried her over next to my desktop, plugged her into my 2nd monitor, attached the cable that had previously been the main leading to my desktop into the HTPC and the other cable I had been trying before into the desktop and voila! Everything worked. Updated Windows and set things up with them side by side. Then took her back to her old home, plugged her into the old cable and she has been fine ever since. A mystery still as to the root cause of the whole mess......

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
but it wasn't working right after the clean install. You think the Windows updates did the trick after I got internet functionality? But I got functionality after moving the PC....before I installed the updates. Mysterious

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Yes, updates saved the day I'm sure...

After a clean install you will have bung all updates.. in fact something it takes 2 reboots for windows to pick up that there are still updates missing... it's also handy to complete the optional updates. It took a week for my Lappy to realise that it's sidewinder driver was missing, and prompted me for a install.

TRENDING THREADS