Solved

Is it necessary to separate a CPU from the fan before reinstalling?

Hello, I have to send back a motherboard back because of a failed on board network adapter. If the CPU is still attached to the fan when I remove it, is it a good idea to remove the CPU from the fan before reinstalling the CPU on the hopefully new mobo?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about separate reinstalling
  1. If in any way your heatsink has separated from the cpu itself, even a little, the thermal grease will form pockets where heat can gather and increase temps.

If it is sufficiently cool and caked where its kinda like glue at this point and you were able to remove both without wiggling the heatsink/cpu then it might be ok, but i personally would take the opportunity to re apply the grease (because if its to the point of being caked its probably ben on there for quite some time and isn't doing its job as efficiently as a fresh application would)
  2. The mobo and cpu are just a few weeks old. The cpu is an i5 with thermal paste.
  3. wow...its a good idea that we have to remove cpu from fan before reinstalling it..thanks
  4. Best answer
    rimumiro said:
    Hello, I have to send back a motherboard back because of a failed on board network adapter. If the CPU is still attached to the fan when I remove it, is it a good idea to remove the CPU from the fan before reinstalling the CPU on the hopefully new mobo?

How did you get the cpu out of the socket without removing the heatsink?

LGA 1156 has a bracket that doesn't enable the fan to remain attached, so yes, you will need to remove the cpu from the heatsink. You are lucky in regards to the cpu not having any pins you need to worry about, but you will still need to be very careful when separating them; what I usually do is apply a twisting motion, since pulling can crack your chip.
  5. I haven't taken the CPU out yet. Is removing the fan going to be easier if the chip is warm?
  6. It depends on the thermal compound, but in general, yes, it should make it easier. Don't cook your chip, though; just run it for a good hour or so and play some games or something. Make sure the heatsink is loose before you try to take it off the mobo.
  7. Best answer selected by rimumiro.
  8. I removed the heat sink tonight from a cold cpu without any problems. The thermal paste is very thin but it's now uneven. So I will have to clean and reapply the thermal paste when resetting the heat sink.

Thanks for the information and advice.
  9. Anytime; that's what we're here for.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Fan Motherboards