External HDD won't read

damoser

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello,

I have an old HDD from my desktop which ran XP 32, that i'm trying to pull data from with my laptop running vista 32.

the HDD is connected via an apricorn usb connector in a usb 2.0 slot.

i have been into disk management, and the drive says it's healthy. every time i plug it in the drive assigns a pre-assigned letter, which i change, and it appears in "my computer".

from there if i try to open it, it says to insert a disk. also, in disk management it says there is no media.

the drive was healthy when i pulled it from the desktop, i just don't have a place to set up the desktop to extract the info, and it's faster to do it straight from the disk to my laptop.

i know the cord is good, i just used it yesterday to browse my old laptop drive, and that worked under the already assigned drive letter (for my media server).

so, how do i get it to read the media that is actually on the drive.

oh, and i cannot claim ownership of the drive, there is no security tab under properties.

correction; it says the device is working properly, but says nothing of the device condition.

markvh

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
"and i cannot claim ownership of the drive, there is no security tab under properties. "

Have you tried putting it back in the old machine and changing the security settings there?

You should be able to give access to "Everyone" and provide full control from there.

damoser

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
i was hoping for a way to do it without putting it in the old machine. if all else fails, i suppose i'll get round to hooking up the old one somewhere and working on it from there.

markvh

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
That should actually be your very first step from here on in because you'll only really be able to change the user rights settings from the machine where the drive was originally formatted... But good luck with plan B, if there is any other way to do it, then you're just signing yourself up for a headache.