Pc doesnt recognize my network through Lan. Please HELP!

importuner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi my friends!

Here is my problem. Im writing through wireless internet through my Lynksis Adapter connected to My router (that i had to buy in order to be able to access the internet). My problem lies in connecting my modem to my LAN connection. I connect the cable to the LAN port and it starts blinking the lights. My network status goes from disconnected to "Identifying Network" status. But sadly it stays there or simply displays Unknown Network. Now i run network diagnostics and it gives me the option to get new IP settings, still that doesnt work. It still shows unknown network. The thing that pisses me off the most is that my wireless works fine but LAN doesnt. Ive tried updating, reinstalling drivers, changing IP6-4 protocol's settings and nothing works, i have my settings to automatically recognize Ip address and DNA settings. This sucks.I want 100mbs connection not just 54mbs through my wireless card . Please help me!!!!!!

Here are my specs: HP pavillion a6500f upgraded (custom) for PC gaming
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @3.33GHZ
Nvidia GTX 260
4gb RAM
700PSU
WIndows Vista 64bit

Thanks In advance! :-D

G

What type of internet service? Cable or DSL? Are you connecting the cable from the modem to the WAN port of the wireless router. If you have cable, are you power cycling the modem before connecting it to the router?

importuner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
bro my problem is not the wireless connection, my wireless connection works fine, but i want to use my LAN port in the back of my PC connected to the motherboard. the answer to your question is that my modem works fine along with my router. i have signal and thats how im writing to you now, but when i connect the LAN cable in the back all I get is the message: Unidentified Network Local Only.

I assume you're connecting that network cable on the back of the PC to a LAN port on that same router. If so, then make sure that network connection is configured for DHCP.

Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes), and hit enter. Locate the network connection, right click it, select Properties, and you'll see the details for that connection. In the list box, locate TCP/IP, select it, and hit the Properties button. Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected. Hit OK (to close the dialog box), hit OK (to close the connection properties), and the network will reset.

Try again.

G

Dude, I didn't ask about your wireless connection. Since you seem to know everything, why are you asking for help, bro?

importuner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

Ok eibgrad thanks for the advise. I have all settings on automatic acquisition of IP and DNS addresses. I have both TCP/IP 6 and 4 running. But the part that i dont get is the part of configuring the network for DHCP. I already checked that it is DHCP enabled in the TCP/IP 4. But the option doesn't show for TCP/IP 6. Still doesn't work.

G

Forget TCP/IP V6. Your router doesn't support. Try answering the questions in my first post.

importuner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Ok I have PHONOSCOPE service. Its a cable connected to the modem. Not phone line a cable (TV) line. I have cable. Hey i havent tried power cycling the modem beffore connecting it to the router.

G

Cable modems "remember" the first network device they connect to and can't be connected to another without power cycling. Remove the power from both the cable modem & wireless router. Connect the network cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router. Power up the cable modem and then the router.