How thick is a standard case window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acer0169

Distinguished
The title says it all.
I've got myself a Cosmos S case which I'm slowly modding in different areas. One thing I've been looking at doing for while is converting the mesh side panel to a window. It's a simple job, I just have to unclip the mesh and use some screws or tape to add the window.

Because the side panel on the Cosmos is huge though, I need to custom order the acrylic as I need 500mm by 350mm. I've got the option to have it 3mm thick all the way up to 50mm thick, but I don't really know what a standard thickness is? Is a normal window about 2mm thick?

I'm after something a little stronger than windows that come on cheap cases, so I was thinking 3mm or 4mm?

Thanks,
ace.

Solution
Good to see some Modding spirit there man :)

Normal windows measure at 2mm to me,
although I have seen real cheap systems with 1mm stuff in them
Remember to use some tape where your drilling for screwholes to avoid cracking the acrylic and go slow :)
I'd say use 3mm though, 4 might be a bit thick
Moto
Good to see some Modding spirit there man :)

Normal windows measure at 2mm to me,
although I have seen real cheap systems with 1mm stuff in them
Remember to use some tape where your drilling for screwholes to avoid cracking the acrylic and go slow :)
I'd say use 3mm though, 4 might be a bit thick
Moto

Solution

acer0169

Distinguished
Cheers moto, 3mm is what I was thinking. I found an old NZXT case I had and it's using something like 1.5mm which is a little too soft and bends when pushed even with one finger. With a case like my Cosmos - where everything is solid and heavy steel - I really don't want a flimsy window and would prefer a rock solid feel to it.

I'm also thinking of installing two clear 140MM fans on the on the window aiming right at my SLI :].

Cheers for the quick reply, that's exactly what I was after :D

No problem man,
Do you have a holesaw for the 140mm holes?
I am planning a modular acrylic build so I'm looking at various thicknesses of it and I think 3mm is going to be stable enough for most of the build, Floor section for mounting the Mobo is likely going to be 5mm though so I can screw standoffs in there.
Have fun and post pics when your done mate, and Thank you for B.a.
Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.