Sign in with
Your question

A question regarding a new SSD to supplement my current one

Last response: in Storage
August 28, 2012 8:25:52 PM

Hi,

I am getting an extra Samsung 830 128GB drive tomorrow (already got one on which I got Windows and various applications) - but I was running out of space (some games etc. takes a lot of space), so I ordered another one.

My question is then, after installing it in the case, are there anything that I need to be aware of since it's an SSD? I remember from my storage HDD that it should be initialized, I chose MBR, NTFS, default allocation unit size and the rest at default options (like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZpeEmF90XA) - is that the correct way to do it? Doing a quick format should be ok on an SSD?

a b G Storage
August 28, 2012 8:34:53 PM

Shad0w said:
Hi,

I am getting an extra Samsung 830 128GB drive tomorrow (already got one on which I got Windows and various applications) - but I was running out of space (some games etc. takes a lot of space), so I ordered another one.

My question is then, after installing it in the case, are there anything that I need to be aware of since it's an SSD? I remember from my storage HDD that it should be initialized, I chose MBR, NTFS, default allocation unit size and the rest at default options (like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZpeEmF90XA) - is that the correct way to do it? Doing a quick format should be ok on an SSD?

Only thing to really watch out for is that you don't defragment your SSD. This is a totally destructive process on an SSD.

Other than that, when you format & partition, Windows (Vista and up, I think) will automatically align the partitions properly.

And in case you are not sure afterwards, use something like ATTO to see if your SSD has the correct alignment.
m
l
August 29, 2012 9:59:05 AM

Okay, yeah I have never defragmented my SSD's :) 

So the settings I posted for initializing the drive is correct? :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
August 29, 2012 2:07:14 PM

Shad0w said:
Okay, yeah I have never defragmented my SSD's :) 

So the settings I posted for initializing the drive is correct? :) 

Yep, that's fine. I usually use the Windows Drive Management snap-in like what the youtube guy did to initialize all my drives, or to format or partition.
m
l
!