Sign in with
Your question

Video hardware acceleration on ATi HD4670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2010 10:34:05 AM

Hi guys

I was wondering if the ATi HD 4670 supports video hardware acceleration and whether it is enabled automatically?

I have a Pentium D 945 (3.4GHz) processor and when playing Full HD (1920 x 1080) movies, cpu usage is about 60-80%.

Not sure if this is normal for my cpu. I was thinking it might be lower as i have the above GPU and that might help with it.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 12:26:29 PM

I believe it does have hardware video acceleration, but that cpu usage is quite normal I believe. It takes quite a bit to decode and play FullHD content.

Does it really matter though if it plays just fine?
May 24, 2010 3:02:27 PM

I suppose it doesnt matter. just that im a bit OCD :pt1cable:  about the numbers, thats all.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 9:10:37 PM

I suppose it's normal though: My quad core also works a bit harder when playing 1080p content
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 2:03:08 AM

Which program are you using to play your videos? The capability for hardware acceleration is there (since HD 2xxx and Geforce 6 series), but you either have to buy the codecs necessary to use the gpu to decode the video, or find free ones to do the job.
Media Player Classic does allow gpu accelerated decoding, and here's a guide you can follow to set it up:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-mov...
May 25, 2010 9:57:12 AM

Thanks all of you for your help.
I am going to try out that link you posted, pepperman.

I am using the KM player from pure codec. it seems ok to me.
May 26, 2010 6:19:22 AM

pepperman said:
Which program are you using to play your videos? The capability for hardware acceleration is there (since HD 2xxx and Geforce 6 series), but you either have to buy the codecs necessary to use the gpu to decode the video, or find free ones to do the job.
Media Player Classic does allow gpu accelerated decoding, and here's a guide you can follow to set it up:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-mov...

Guru 3D's guide works a treat! But am using those settings for KMplayer as KM player is smoother when i fast forward than MPC HC, which is jerkier.

Thanks again for everyones input! playing full HD in now at 25% or less!
!