Sign in with
Your question

Case airflow

Last response: in Components
August 30, 2010 10:19:18 AM

Hello all,
Recently, I decided to buy a 120mm fan (Tacens Spiro Ice) to mount on my side panel. I wanted to know, if it should be intake or exhaust. Currently, I have an 80mm fan in the front of my PC intaking, an 80mm fan at the back of my PC exhausting, a power supply (duh) with a heatsink at the back and a 139mm fan intaking from the bottom, a stock CPU fan(80mm intake) and heatsink, and a 40mm fan at the back of the hard drives exhausting. So,
should the side panel fan be intaking or exhausting?
Thanks to all in advance!

More about : case airflow

a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2010 10:26:45 AM

intake, blowing onto the aret that the cpu/gpu can use.
a c 91 ) Power supply
August 30, 2010 10:46:45 AM

It should ideally be intake though all that arrangement will most probably create an unbalanced airflow setup.. It'll be better if you could move the 120mm fan up front to use for intake.. That will move in more air at lower RPM (thus lower noise).. Keep another 120mm at exhaust if you can..
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2010 11:00:31 AM

I have quite a similar setup. My side case fan is set to intake.
August 30, 2010 1:06:30 PM

allright, thanks all
I forgot to also point out that my GPU fan is ALSO intaking
lol
In response to emperus:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have 120 mm holes at the front! I've thought of using an adaptor, but the fan itself wont fit >:( 
Thanks all!
a c 248 ) Power supply
August 30, 2010 6:58:52 PM

Generally fans mounted on the side panel are used as intake fans. However, I discovered the results can be mixed. Last year I did a case cooling experiment with and without fans on the side panel. Sometimes cpu temperatures decreased and sometimes there was no change. Other veterans have also experienced odd results.

My advice would be to experiment and find out what works best for your system. That's part of the fun of doing it yourself.
August 30, 2010 8:11:34 PM

True! thanks all!
!