kmorris_99

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I just did my first boot on my new build, and thanks to the awesome help I have received on this forum, it booted on the first try! WOOHOO!!! :pt1cable:
Ok, so now what? After it booted, I installed the Windows7 64 bit Upgrade, and to my surprise, it did a clean upgrade without any apparent problems to this point. I still have not "registered" it with the windows key at this point, but I will look for that help in the Windows 7 forum.
But what do I need to do at this point? I would imagine that I need to do something in the BIOS. I know I need to change it from "boot from cd/dvd" to "boot from hdd", but I do not know how to do that. Is there a separate forum for bios help?
I appreciate any help to get me moving in the right direction from where I am at, to where I need to be! Thank you.

EDIT: I almost forgot, I went to change the resolution of the monitor through control panel, and the only monitor it will allow me to choose is "Generic PnP monitor on standard VGA Graphics Adapter". I believe this tells me that it is not recognizing my installed graphics card, but is using the onboard graphics instead? How do I fix that?

What board do you have? It will help us give you more specific BIOS advise.

Your motherboard manual should tell you where to look to set the boot order, but if you go into BIOS i bet it will be pretty obviously marked in one of the sections. You also want to manually set your ram speed, timings, and voltage, the Auto settings are not the best especially since very few kits these days run on the default SPD timings and voltages.

kmorris_99

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

The MoBo is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3.
How do I enter the bios? What key do I push when it is rebooting?
Thank you for the response!

kmorris_99

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Ok, so I am into the bios. I did find in the Advanced BIOS Features under Init Display First section where I can "specify the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card or the PCI Express graphics card". The options are PCI (Sets the PCI graphics card as the first display), PEG (Sets the PCI Express graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display) and PEG2 (Sets the PCI Express graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display). I chose PEG, as my ASUA 5770 is in that slot. Was this the right thing to do, or should I just back out of the BIOS and load the drivers for the graphics card from the included CD like you suggested? Thank you!