Better choice for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I was going to ask for more info but an i5 that cheap is a no-brainer.

Nothing wrong with purchasing from MC. :) We recommend them every day for Intel CPUs.

acer0169

Distinguished
As a bit of an AMD follower I'm tempted to say to go with the 965. They're amazing for overclocking and you should be able to hit 4.2GHz with some good cooling. In saying that, the i5's are very impressive but I don't really think it has the same performance for the money. For the same money as the intel is being sold at, you could get a X6 AMD.

I've used the 965 before and was very impressed with the temps and speeds.

Just my opinion, not looking for a fan-boy war ;D

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hell_storm, that article seems to have been printed before AMD lowered their prices on the CPU in question.

Acer, I'm not sure that a X6 would be the best choice for gaming. Do most games even utilize that many cores?

:??: :??:

AMD lowered their prices. But does that mean i5 750's started performing badly as well, after the price drop??

The link was to let you know about the i5's.

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I was just pointing out the price drop as it appeard a lot of the comparison was that the i5-750 was better for the money. So I wasn't sure if that changed with the price drop on the AMDs.

On a side note, I'm noticing that prices at Micro Center seem to demolish the prices listed on Newegg. I'm not sure why I haven't seen any one talk about that.

Newegg has the i5 750 at $195, while micro center lists the i5-760 at $170....
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0341729

I suppose I should be glad I live withint 15 mins of micro center?

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I picked up my Q9950 from Micro center in Chicago westmount store, $169 + tax several months ago and very happy with it. Nothing wrong with Micro center at all, happy shopping.... Lucky you, I am a hour and 40 mins from them.

If that is the case, and people say that buying from Microcenter is not a problem, then there is no option left for you! :) :)

I don't live in US so cant comment on the shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.