Sign in with
Your question

Is my homebuilt better than a ps3

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2010 9:26:24 AM

I've got a pc i put together for gaming and it plays about any game in mid settings most in high. I would prefer it over any console but my friend thinks his ps3 is much better so I would like to know which has the best hardware a ps3 or my system?

my specs:

asus p5l mobo
2gb pc 5300 ram
e6600 2.4ghz c2d
ati radeon hd4850
160gb maxtor hdd
storm 700w psu

heres ps3 specs:

* 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
* 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
* 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

* 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
* Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
* Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

* 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
* 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

* Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
* VRAM: 22.4GB/s
* RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
* SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

* HDD
* Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O:

* USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
* Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
* SD: standard/mini x 1
* CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

More about : homebuilt ps3

Anonymous
July 2, 2010 12:57:14 PM

Two completely different things, yours is a PC, his is a PS3, his cant do what yours can do (play PC Games) and yours cant do what his can do (play ps3 games)

But if it came to graphics alone in comparable games, your system will win in quality terms being able to output a higher resolution applying different filtering options like AA and AF.

But for pick up and play, PS3 will pawn your PC!

Both powerfull, for different reasons!

Now my PC, well its more powerful in graphics than all the three modern Consoles put together!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2010 4:21:19 PM

One things PC can't do is 8 people playing some football games but PS3 can do. But PC will do a lot things than a console.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2010 6:14:13 PM

Anonymous said:
Two completely different things, yours is a PC, his is a PS3, his cant do what yours can do (play PC Games) and yours cant do what his can do (play ps3 games)

But if it came to graphics alone in comparable games, your system will win in quality terms being able to output a higher resolution applying different filtering options like AA and AF.

But for pick up and play, PS3 will pawn your PC!

Both powerfull, for different reasons!

Now my PC, well its more powerful in graphics than all the three modern Consoles put together!

ATI 5850 has 2.09 TFLOPS per http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1097/1/

Whereas the total combined TFLOPS of the Xbox360, PS3 and Wii have 3.361 TFLOPS. obviously exceeding your 5850s 2.09. More importantly the PS3 is clocked at 2.18 TFLOPS which single-handedly beats your 5850.
according to:
http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/how-to-shop/pl...
http://jonpeddie.com/blogs/comments/how_many_flops/

So to say yours is more powerful than all 3 combined might be a slight exaggeration.
July 2, 2010 6:30:47 PM

PS3 and PC are almost incomparable as they have totally different uses.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2010 10:30:24 PM

pc=screwdriver
ps3=hammer
you can use a screwdriver as a make-do hammer, but cant use a hammer as a screwdriver :) 
Moto
July 3, 2010 1:16:02 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
pc=screwdriver
ps3=hammer
you can use a screwdriver as a make-do hammer, but cant use a hammer as a screwdriver :) 
Moto

That analogy works both way, and I think the PS3 is more the screwdriver here. You can use it to browse the web and such, and up until recently could even run linux just like a pc. A pc still cannot play PS3 games. The PC is definitely more versatile overall and I prefer it for most gaming.

From a strictly gaming perspective it all depends on what you want to play and the ease you want to play with. PS3 is basically plug and play, and certain kinds of games are just better on a console. Sports, most action, fighting. The PC does so much more than game and has potentially better hardware to do it with and plays some games better. FPS, RTS, most rpgs.

The simple answer is: your computer has the better hardware on paper. But nothing is simple.
July 4, 2010 8:37:30 AM

I haven't looked into this, but I'm sure there will be a day(if there isn't already) that you can emulate PS3 and play roms just like snes games and the like. So to say you can never play PS3 games is a bit of a stretch IMHO.
July 5, 2010 9:37:38 AM

The debate between me and him rumbles on, he talks of cell processing i mention that its developed by IBM as well as sony so if the cell cpu was so great im sure it would be used in PC's. PS3 suits him whereas PC suits me. PC wins for me though you can do ALOT more with the wide range of programs, also PC's can play ps2 games (and about any platform that was out before the current gen) whereas alot ps3's can't even play ps2 games. My PC cost me about £320 so its very similar price to a ps3 but i would prefer it any day i think deep down he would to :pt1cable: 
July 5, 2010 7:01:48 PM

My PS3 can play PS2 games. I got one of the early models. Though, if I had to pick one i would pick PC. I just have my PS3 for exclusives like Infamous and Uncharted.
!