Bluescreen after installing XP to new drive

mystlw

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hi! I've been reading through the forums in search of an answer to my problem, but I don't think I've found one yet. I'm replacing the 500gb sata hard drive in a Gateway gt5674. I've formatted and installed/reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP3 on the original hard drive multiple times with no problems (it shipped with Windows 7). When I try with the new one (1tb), it formats and seems to install fine, but when it boots to the hard drive I get a very fast blue screen--too quick to read the error--and it restarts again. I'm doing the exact same thing, in exactly the same way, as I did with the older drive. I've never needed to f6 or install drivers, just normal format/install.
I've read the replies in other threads regarding the BIOS settings, but I don't get an option to change the AHCI in my Phoenix BIOS (and whatever it's set to worked perfectly for the original SATA drive).
Also, drive I'm replacing the 500gb Western Digital Caviar with is a "white label" Mediamax wl1000gsa3272, which I believe is also a rebranded WD Caviar, but I wouldn't stake my firstborn on it.
I work from home and I really need this system up and running again. What am I doing wrong? Is it just a bad drive?

(Edited, because I'm a little loopy.)

My question would be why in the would would you want or need to downgrade to a dead OS like XP in this day and age. Windows 7 is better in every way to XP with absolutely no question. XP is in all respects a dead OS that does not even have support for some newer hardware.

mystlw

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Partly because a lot of my programs wouldn't work under Windows 7; and partly because my roommate, who also uses this computer, is an older gentleman who is still a little lost using XP, and I'm fairly certain his head would explode if I subjected him to 7.

I can't help you, but are there 2060-xxxxxx and 2061-xxxxxx numbers on the PCB? If so, then these are WD's PCB part numbers. They should help you to identify the WD model.

Does the original 500GB HDD still work? If so, try installing the new HDD as a storage drive, if only temporarily, and then run some Windows based tests on it.

If you haven't found it already, here is Gateway's GT5674 support page:
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015322R/1015322Rnv.shtml

If it helps someone else to help you, here is the motherboard:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006254R/4006254Rmv.shtml

mystlw

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
There is, in fact, a number on the PCB; 2060-771624-001, rev P2. (Googling gives me a bunch of results for a website called donordrives.com.)

The original drive does work, but is dying fast. My attempts to install .Net Framework somehow sent it to hospice, and it became apparent that I needed the new one. Half of it was a partition that won't format or reinstall the OS, so only about 250gb is available.

I have been to the level of Hell that I laughingly refer to as "Gateway Support", but they stopped offering any sort of help for XP long ago. To wipe 7 and install XP I was forced to visit many, many manufacturers' sites for drivers.

**Another odd thing I've noticed: in my BIOS, this new drive doesn't have a name. While the other drives show up as [drive name] or [NONE], this one shows as []. It does detect it as a 1 tb drive, but doesn't assign it a label.

It could be a 7200RPM 32MB Caviar Black ("7232").

As for the absence of a model number in BIOS, this begs the question, how does the drive show up in Device Manager, assuming you can get that far?

BTW, I believe WD's drives won't have a name in BIOS if they are configured to Power Up In Standby (PUIS). One way to do this is via the PM2 jumper.

mystlw

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I can't get to the Device Manager; immediately after Windows installs, it reboots to the hard drive to finish, at which point I get XP logo, the speedy blue screen and it restarts. I then get the option to boot in Safe Mode, but it give me a screen full of driver names and again restarts.
After nearly 2 days of this, I still haven't gotten to the desktop to check the Device Manager.