Computer shuts off after boot, then starts back up and goes fine.

StandardFiend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Starting from standby, I press the power button (the one on the MoBo, or the one on the case, it makes no difference) and the machine starts up. All the fans spin, the proper lights are on. The LED displays a few POST codes which appear normal. Then, before the BIOS starts or it can try to boot from a device, the machine turns off, and stays off for a few seconds. And then it starts back up just like before, goes through a few normal POSTs, and I can access the BIOS or insert a CD to boot from (I have no OS installed yet). It seems to run perpetually after that, but I can't be certain since I can't run any programs or make it do anything, really.

After it starts the second time, everything seems fine, but I'm sure this process can't be normal. My MoBo manual mentions nothing about this.

Here is my system:

EVGA P55 LE
Intel Core i3 530
G.Skill DDR3-1600 2x2GB
HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
WD 640GB 7.2k rpm HDD

Please don't simply refer me to the New Build Troubleshooting Guide. I've looked through it already and I took extra care to ensure I installed all the components correctly. I've successfully built two machines before, so I like to think I kind of know what I'm doing. At the very least I'm not incompetent.

So, do you smart folks have any idea what could be wrong, and how I can fix it?

This is just an aside: according to my BIOS, my CPU is idling at about 39 C. Is that normal or too hot?

arunloveshacking

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
At the moment the integrated memory controller from socket 1156 processors supports only DDR3 memories up to 1,333 MHz under dual-channel architecture, however EVGA says P55 LE supports DDR3 memories up to 2000 MHz. So, try booting with RAM with 1333MHz frquency and check whether this problem occurs.

StandardFiend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
RAM is set to 1333 (I'm hoping I can use 1600, though, since I payed for it...)

I am fairly certain the timings and voltages are correct, but I will double-check.

And I will browse the BIOS again, but I did not see an option for a memory test anywhere in there. I suppose I can install an OS and do it from there, but I'm hoping to get this resolved before doing so, in case I need to exchange any components.

I will update later with any progress. Thanks for the input so far. I hope it's not a memory problem, because I'm sick of bad memory. I made sure to get some good stuff this time, but maybe I got unlucky.

StandardFiend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Update:
I reset the motherboard, then I manually set the RAM to 1333 Mhz, and I set the voltage and timings to factory specifications (1.5v and 9-9-9-24). Still the same problem.

Also, after changing RAM settings and saving them and exiting the BIOS, the machine restarts. I assume that's normal. But upon this restart it does the same thing again, shutting down then starting back up. Without changing any settings and manually restarting with the reset button, this does not happen.

Any other suggestions?

iCExNiNE

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I know that this thread is old, but the OP never updated the thread on whether or not he solved his problem. I'm having what seems to be the same problem as the OP. When i start my pc, it shuts off and after a few seconds it turns back on and runs fine. I've overclocked my cpu to 4.4 Ghz and done stress tests, and everything seems perfect. I've also tried resetting my cpu back to its original clock speed, and still no luck. So I'm wondering, what could be causing my pc to do this? I'm wondering if maybe i have a bad psu. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

my pc specs:
i7 2600k
NZXT HALE90 850W
GTX 570
8 GB Kingston HyperX
Corsair Force f120

StandardFiend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Are you using a newer model EVGA motherboard, like me? It seems that the on-off-on thing is just a thing those boards do, and it's not harming the system. Nothing to worry about after all. It's really strange at first, but you get used to it. My system's been running for about a year now and I've had no problems with it.

If you're not using an EVGA, it could still be the motherboard, but I would look further into it if I were you.