Can monitor housing buckle from heat?

raptonx

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
I've had a Samsung Syncmaster 2443 BWX for almost a year and a half, and I noticed after long use I would hear a sound of plastic sort of snapping or moving or something of that sort, possibly from heat. Now I think I have good venting space, as it is open on the sides, the back, though there is a clearance of about 7 inches or so from its top and a shelf at the top.

I did at one point hear a rather loud snap but did not really see anything, but later on while turning the monitor that the lower left corner, the seams were sort of popped open between the front and back. Now the monitor functions just fine, just....wtf?

raptonx

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006

Eh, it sort of does near the top, the plastic does feel warm to the touch, maybe its just from a lot of use, dunno. There is heat coming out the vents at the top.

raptonx

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006

Considering the monitor's housing has a wider gap in the lower left corner at the edge as in popped open a bit, I dunno, maybe when it was assembled it was all tightly held together, and a little heat was all it took. Or maybe it was always like that and I never noticed. As long as it keeps working its all good I guess.

I'd think it was more likely it popped open through handling (moving around, etc) than through heat. Although it's possible that normal heating/cooling contractions are causing the noise you hear - escaping through the opened edge.

Right; until you see a problem in performance or notice much higher temps of the casing I don't think you need to worry about those noises.