Sign in with
Your question

All Asrock P67 mobos deactivated at newegg

Last response: in Motherboards
April 1, 2011 8:18:12 PM

Anyone know why all the Asrock p67 mobos show as deactivated at newegg? They don't show as sold out - deactivated. Decided I would rather go with one of the Asrock p67's rather than the Asus, but maybe there's a problem.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 8:35:10 PM

Interesting ?! :o 

Officially no news -> http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp

I know they're built in Taiwan and get some of their parts from Japan, but ASUS who owns ASRock is still listed.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 9:32:48 PM

Recall - Confirmed!

17:19:07 : Jaquith: Why are ALL P67 ASRock MOBOs 'Deactivated?'
17:25:24 : {Confidential}: We did have a recall on some of our motherboards.

This is more widespread than ASRock.
Related resources
April 1, 2011 9:40:36 PM

Wow. Strike 2. Glad I didn't buy one of these P67 boards because I was oh so close. I guess all the more reason for me to wait on Z68 or Ivy Bridge or see what AMD may or may not surprise me with. My dependable Q6600 system looking better every day!
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 9:51:22 PM

jaquith said:
Recall - Confirmed!

17:19:07 : Jaquith: Why are ALL P67 ASRock MOBOs 'Deactivated?' I'm the MOBO guru at Toms
Hardware...
17:25:24 : {Confidential}: We did have a recall on some of our motherboards.

This is more widespread than ASRock.

Oh wow -- that's extremely interesting. I hope you'll share details on how far this goes when you know. Is Sandy Bridge cursed?
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 10:00:10 PM

They are sold out big deal. We knew after the recall supplies would be in limited supply for a month or two. They will be in stock again in a day or two.
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 10:02:44 PM

daship said:
They are sold out big deal. We knew after the recall supplies would be in limited supply for a month or two. They will be in stock again in a day or two.

Did you miss the fact that jaquith heard from ASRock that they had a recall?
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 10:05:43 PM

I was hoping this was an April fools joke. I sure hope this is an ASRock specific problem. I'm tired of rebuilding my computer.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 10:07:41 PM

They didn't share too many details. The most common P67 issue I've been seeing is HDD/SSD recognition problems across MOBO Mfg's. As best practices, I've been telling people to flash their BIOS before doing anything more.

The second is sudden shutdowns often corrected by flashing. Plus there's a known bug with 3/4-WAY CF/SLI with NF200 equipped P67's which is driver related.

My money is on the Intel SATA recognition issue.
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 10:11:04 PM

anort3 said:
I was hoping this was an April fools joke. I sure hope this is an ASRock specific problem. I'm tired of rebuilding my computer.

That's what I was thinking, too, but check out the following:

ASRock: http://bit.ly/gSwjJx
Asus: http://bit.ly/h1MtY5
Gigabyte: http://bit.ly/hNAnxW
MSI: http://bit.ly/gjDl8A

Can ASRock really be the only one that just happens to have no boards to sell? Even when there are no Asus boards available within that model number, they haven't been disabling the listing -- just saying in the listing that there are none currently available, so I remain suspicious.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 10:17:57 PM

Here's the full log:

17:19:07 : Jaquith: Why are ALL P67 ASRock MOBOs 'Deactivated?'
17:25:24 : ---: We did have a recall on some of our motherboards.
17:28:33 : Jaquith: I assumed so, noticed both ASUS and ASRock with Intel SATA3 issues. Typically resolved
by BIOS updates. Question, any details or specific reasons why?
17:29:10 : ---: I apologize we do not have that information.

Knock yourself out {Chat} -> http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView.aspx#ContactUsT...
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 10:26:10 PM

Please not Gigabyte, please not Gigabyte :( 
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 10:29:04 PM

Hmm. jaquith -- I did not realize that it was newegg you contacted. I thougt your communication was with a ASRock insider.

Interesting -- I wonder how informed that customer service rep was. It's possible that the recall to which he was referring was the old cougar point recall; my hypothesis is that he may chalk up the deactivation of the board listings to the fact that ASRock has not been able to keep p687 boards in stock due to all the RMAs they have to handle.

Same thing is happening with P8P67 Pro -- there still isn't a listing for the ATX P8P67 Pro up yet...
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 10:44:56 PM

I said, "This is more widespread than ASRock." -- pretty much ruling-out an ASRock only response. The log is longer before and after, but I didn't feel like deleting all the names with pointless chatter. Nor am trying to be a reporter - however, I did kick it up the ladder to Toms so they can play reporter.

The ASRock {B3} were indeed the ones pulled, but the response was "some of our motherboards" leaving open not only ASRock. ALL non-B3 MOBO's were pulled way back and the day of the recall, and I was looking at ASRock P67's just yesterday.

Don't forget ASUS owns ASRock!

I'm not a P67 fanboy so I didn't feel like going to ASUS, MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte, BioStar, etc... to confirm something I really do care too much about.
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 10:48:22 PM

jaquith said:

I'm not a P67 fanboy so I didn't feel like going to ASUS, MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte, BioStar, etc... to confirm something I really do care too much about.

lol...you're not a p67 fanboy. What is that even supposed to mean? There's no alternative to P67 at this point. It beats the hell out of anything out there until Ivy bridge, 2011, or bulldozer is released.
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 10:49:29 PM

No ASRock boards on Fry's or TigerDirect either although I am not sure they stocked them orignally.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 11:02:12 PM

fullofzen said:
lol...you're not a p67 fanboy. What is that even supposed to mean? There's no alternative to P67 at this point. It beats the hell out of anything out there until Ivy bridge, 2011, or bulldozer is released.

Well I'm an X58 and next the X68/X79 fanboy. Never was a P55 fanboy either, I don't build on the consumer lines. I skip the consumer lines. Nor did I say they're bad.

Don't get me wrong I am indeed a Sandy Bridge fanboy. I can guarantee you though I'm not going to be an Early Adopter of the X68/X79 ;)  I'm leaving a wide girth 30+ days and 2+ BIOS revisions.
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2011 11:04:12 PM

jaquith said:
Well I'm an X58 and next the X68/X79 fanboy. Never was a P55 fanboy either, I don't build on the consumer lines. I skip the consumer lines. Nor did I say they're bad.

Don't get me wrong I am indeed a Sandy Bridge fanboy. I can guarantee you though I'm not going to be an Early Adopter of the X68/X79 ;)  I'm leaving a wide girth 30+ days and 2+ BIOS revisions.

Yeah fair enough. I'm steering clear of LGA2011 for one reason -- price.

Good call on the early adopter thing -- in addition to the inevitable BIOS revisions, you can look forward to ordering at a lower price. That's what's keeping me away from SB for now...
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 1, 2011 11:24:19 PM

Most of the P55 vs X58 builds were within a $100~$200, closer to the $100 especially if you're in driving distance to a http://www.microcenter.com/ . Also, if you're running a single {any} GPU then don't wait go the P67 route. I cannot recommend tossing in a 3/4-WAY GTX 580 on a P67 -- crazy then if the complaint is the X68/X79 is too expensive.

The weirdest thing is if you're an extreme Gamer then in order to get 32-lanes on X68/X79 you're forced to get a 6/8-core SB -- knowing that 2 maybe 4 at the most cores are being used?? Blame Intel!
April 2, 2011 7:43:30 PM

Anyone learn anything more about this? More Sandy Bridge mobo problems?
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 2, 2011 8:02:23 PM

Still just ASRock as far as I can tell.
April 3, 2011 1:41:53 AM

Isn't this all just the first arrivals of the new silicon for the mobo chipsets? The SATA ports were degrading over time and causing problems. There are none available because the first units are going to existing owners to replace the deffective product that they already have.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 2:27:47 AM

Nope this was an entirely NEW recall & Second recall of the 'FIXED' B3's with ASRock and 'some other' P67 MOBOs.

The problems are unknown at this time, and it might not be a Intel SATA2 issue, it could be anything...no details.
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 2:31:12 AM

Still specific to ASRock as far as I can tell.
April 3, 2011 6:13:08 AM

superbiiz is reliable, built my entire system from them.

Wanted free shipping and sales tax evasion (Live in TN so NewEgg isn't a deal anymore)
April 4, 2011 9:28:14 AM

I was planning to buy an ASRock P67 Pro3 but then I saw this 0.o
I'm buying in Australia, where most shops continued to list non-B3 motherboards even after the recall and it worries me that the same will happen if I buy an ASRock.

EDIT: I have a feeling that what daship said was right, they are out of stock and don't have a confirmed shipment date. And the customer service guy that responded to you got confused with the initial recall. Don't know how good Newegg support is but most stores I've dealt with often don't read messages properly. Was there anything else that totally confirmed it was a "second" recall?

That said, I hope this is the case. I don't want to delay my build any longer =(
April 5, 2011 1:03:03 PM

I hope this gets resolved soon. I was going to buy an asrock p67 pro3, on superbiiz, but now it is hot of stock there as well. They still have the extreme4, though.
April 5, 2011 2:41:43 PM

I was chatting with a newegg rep, and I asked him when the boards will be available again, but he didn't know. He hadn't heard about this possible second recall so I showed him this thread.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 5, 2011 7:21:02 PM

Well the ASRock P67's are gone from Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect, Buy.com, CDW, PCMall, etc. At this point you'd be living under a rock to assume everything fine, or lacking any common sense. So think about it, warm up some brain cells, and even if you do or don't believe me and the Chat I saved it leaves only one explanation.

edit: The ONLY real question at this point is WHY are they recalled!?
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 2:08:09 AM

jaquith said:
Well the ASRock P67's are gone from Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect, Buy.com, CDW, PCMall, etc. At this point you'd be living under a rock to assume everything fine, or lacking any common sense. So think about it, warm up some brain cells, and even if you do or don't believe me and the Chat I saved it leaves only one explanation.

edit: The ONLY real question at this point is WHY are they recalled!?

I agree it's certainly a good question. I looked at the ASRock news page (http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp) and a couple of the third-party support forums that ASRock's website lists (http://www.asrock.com/support/forum.asp), but I could not find anything on any of these pages about another recall or anyone curious about the unavailability of boards in the retail channel.

This is not really related, but I found amusing one post in one of these supposedly third-party boards which announced that no complaints about the Cougar Point RMA process would be allowed. Kind of sketch, no? Here's the link:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/39368-rma-discussion...
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
April 6, 2011 1:51:29 PM

A lot of Forums are paid though advertising a/k/a sponsorship. I've seen plenty of posts deleted or edited before when a post or posts are unkind in a variety of ways.

For 'some' reason ASRock doesn't want the 'reason(s)' made public. To me in the long run it makes you not trust the forums that impose censorship. Even this post has gotten the attention of the powers that be at ' Bestofmedia,' but I give them credit and admiration of not killing this post. Unlike TT that deletes anything at will that doesn't make their Sponsors shine.

Again, it's as I said ... ' WHY are they recalled!?' I don't really care ;) 

Bottom-Line: I respect ASRock for doing the right thing and Tom's Forums for the truth! I strongly recommend them both!
April 6, 2011 4:47:17 PM

Wow, they're already sold out. I'm glad I just bought mine off of SuperBiiz.
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 6, 2011 5:23:33 PM

Hell I'm just glad it's not another P67 recall!
April 6, 2011 7:18:59 PM

I was ordering the rest of the parts for my computer, and I was thinking what the hell, I'll check the asrock boards again. And miraculously, they were back! I managed to snag an extreme4, but it looks like they're sold out already!
!