Rookie Mistake (Bare Drive)

aseycay

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hello,
I bought a Western Digital "Bare Drive" HDD from Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533)
I should have paid more attention to the "Bare Drive" part... I do not have any screws to mount it or a SATA cable to hook it up! >_< I can get a cheap SATA 6gb/s cable from monoprice.com... I'm sure I can get mounting screws at a hardware store... but I have no idea what to ask for when I get there... Can anyone help? :X
Also... the back of the hard drive has a standard SATA connection... but it also has another wide similar connector beside it... Is that important? Do I need a special cable or will any SATA cable do? I will use this drive for storage and gaming on my PC, I am currently using an SSD as my OS drive.

Solution
For the screws you will need M3 or UNC 6-32 screws. Either will work

As for that other SATA looking but bigger plug, that's the power plug.
Yes, you will need that if the drive doesn't have the backwards compatible Molex power plug.
(Which it doesn't.)

You will need to either buy a new power supply, or a sata power adapter for your current power supply if it does not have one of these.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
For the screws you will need M3 or UNC 6-32 screws. Either will work

As for that other SATA looking but bigger plug, that's the power plug.
Yes, you will need that if the drive doesn't have the backwards compatible Molex power plug.
(Which it doesn't.)

You will need to either buy a new power supply, or a sata power adapter for your current power supply if it does not have one of these.

Solution