Can I run my CPU with only 4-pins?

sudox

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I was running an XFX nForce 790i Ultra with a 775 socket CPU (Core 2 Quad Core Yorkfield) and I accidentally got thermal grease on the socket and in an attempt to clean it up bent the prongs on the socket. I now have to buy a new motherboard and Newegg no longer sells my current motherboard.

In my searches for a replacement motherboard I can't seem to find a (good reviewed) motherboard with DDR3 ram, a 775 socket, and an eight pin CPU power connector. On my current board I used 6 of the 8 pins because 4 wasn't enough.... So I must ask if there is some type of 4-8 converter or if the CPU will run without the other 2 pins? Thanks for any help!

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
A little while back I asked the same question relative to the use of a power supply with only a four-pin cpu power connector with a Sandy Bridge processor; some good perspectives here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288400-30-sandy-bridge-2500k-power-connector

The consensus was basically yes, although a 4-pin to 8-pin connector may be helpful to the motherboard. Here's a link to such a unit on newegg for $5:

http://bit.ly/hNJuhz

Thinking about it a bit further, I have to ask: what do you mean you used 6 of the 8 pins?

Are you saying that you have a 8-pin power source from the PSU but only 6 of the pins work??

sudox

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I mean that I have 4-pin PSU cords, 6-pin PSU cords, and 8-pin PSU cords. My motherboard has an 8-pin socket. However if I use and 8-pin it won't turn on and a 4-pin would result in it turning on but never loading.

mm0zct

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have never had a motherboard that needed more than 4 pins, but I have a feeling those other connectors you are plugging in are pci-e power connectors for graphics cards, they might not be the same voltages on each pin and could damage your motherboard. Safest bet is to get an adapter from the 4 pin up to the 8 pin it needs, making sure it's the right 4 pin cable you take it form.

(Sorry I'm too lazy to look up the different pin layouts)