ctnoland

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I usually just look this stuff up but I dont have much time anymore so I was hoping you guys could help me decide something...

Are the new sandy bridges going to be worth the wait? I read that the desktop version will be out Q1 of 2011 but other say the wait will be longer. I have read the benchmarks and the things are amazing but just wondering if anyone might know the price or even have a guess? I am wondering all of this because I am going to build a computer soon but I am in no rush if I can make it worth the wait.

Much appreciated.

Based on estimated prices and performance, it looks like it will be worth the wait.

HOWEVER, until it hits retail shelves and is benchmarked, NO ONE can be sure.

If you can afford to wait, that would be my recommendation. I am.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

I wasn't going to wait 8 months for the SB which is why I got my Nehalem system.

I doubt there is going to be something like a 70-90% performance increase between the SB and Nehalem.

I'm using my computer mostly for gaming, not HD video encoding, video editing, or any CPU-intensive applications.

The SB might spit out 12 more FPS in games, but it isn't noticeable.

^ According to the Anandtech preview of the Sandy Bridge 2400 mainstream CPU (locked multi, no working turbo, beta drivers etc), it kept up with the 6-core Westmere i7-980X in a number of games...

I'm upgrading my ancient Q6700 system with a new video card and SSD boot drive, so it'll hold me until the performance SB's come out (or BD if it is better)..

sportsfanboy

Distinguished

From what I have been seeing, their early claims are an increase of around 20 to 30 percent over nehalem.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

How many frames does it spit out in Crysis over the Nehalem?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Crysis 2 an 3 will probably always run better, and at higher fps than the original Crysis, using the same hardware.

Why is this?

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I hear that SB will be availble Jan 2011. I am also one of the people that want to upgrade my PC. I have an older E8400. And I hear that Bulldozer is delayed. Not good for AMD if they fall behind Intel.

Those early Q1 (or even earlier - Intel might make a push for the holiday season) Sandy Bridge models will be the s1156 "mainstream" models, like the one AT previewed a couple months ago. The performance models (s1356 and s2011) should come in Q2 and Q3. You probably want a performance model since they don't have the onboard GPU and have at least 6 cores at the high end.