FPS vs. Resulotion vs. Graphic quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I was running Crysis:Warhead bench and was wondering what is better.
To play a game at lower res (1024x768) higher vid quality or higher res (1600x1200) lower vid quality at same FPS (20)?
Also i can run at low vid quality and 1280x1024 res for a higher FPS (31fps)?
In your opinion what makes a better game play?

Solution
I would say that most people prefer to enable good enough graphics to allow at least 30-60fps. If you get way better frames, bring the graphics or resolution up. If your frames are low, it doesn't matter how good things look, you won't be able to play it very well and the game becomes an expensive semi-interactive slideshow.

If you have an LCD, the best thing you can do is to leave it at the monitor's native resolution, then work from there, tweaking quality settings until you get to a playable and consistant framerate.
I would pick higher resolution with lowered detail, but at 20FPS you need to go for both lower resolution and lowered details. I will always pick better FPS over resolution or detail level until about 40-60 FPS, once its smooth then i would take resolution, then detail settings, the AA/AF.

I'd aim for highest resolution possible, but certainly would prefer medium over low details... either way, I wouldn't play at 20fps. 30fps average is... still not very good. What kind of video card do you have? Or is it integrated graphics?

leo2kp

Distinguished
I would say that most people prefer to enable good enough graphics to allow at least 30-60fps. If you get way better frames, bring the graphics or resolution up. If your frames are low, it doesn't matter how good things look, you won't be able to play it very well and the game becomes an expensive semi-interactive slideshow.

If you have an LCD, the best thing you can do is to leave it at the monitor's native resolution, then work from there, tweaking quality settings until you get to a playable and consistant framerate.

Solution
The GPU is a XFX 7600GS OC'd to 550 core/800 mem.
I know my system is minimal for this game but I am not a hardcore gamer.
It is an older system so I am happy it plays at all LOL
Trying it out it turns out that the 1280x1024 at 31fps avg/43 fps max is the most playable.
I did turn it down to 1024 x 768 low settings with 2xAA and was at same FPS but I think the higher res was better.
I am just curious where the right balance of FPS/Res/Quality is at and wanted to ask the experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.