Randomly Crashing and many many strange problems

Labmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I couldn't find a good place to put this, but i have just a hunch that it might be the motherboard so I will put it here. Settle down its a long story.

Very early September last year, after I had built my computer http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292931-31-ultra-build , it crashed. This happened maybe once every 2 weeks. The image would become completely frozen, the last few milliseconds of music would repeat, and it wouldn't respond to anything. After a reboot it would be fine though, and it happened so rarely that I didn't worry about it.

It has been getting progressively worse though, getting slowly more often until now where it happens at least once a day. I have done some basic troubleshooting and it has seemingly nothing to do what I am running on the computer when it crashes, how long it has been on, or if I am even at my computer.

There are also a host of other problems that have appeared recently. After a crash, the computer will run very slowly before going into windows. At first it went slowly when detecting the DVD drive, so I thought that must have been the problem and removed it. Crashes still happened though, but it did fix the slow start up problem, for a bit. A few days later it starting going slowly on "Initializing USB controllers". My keyboard also is now unresponsive after a crash until the computer is booted back up into windows. Just today the power button stopped working after a crash, and the computer never came back into windows. I left it on "Initializing USB controllers" for 40 minutes before i turned it off. After leaving for a few hours and coming back it started up fine with great speed.

I run Windows 7 x64

MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 870 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

I boot off of a 40gb ssd.

If any more information would be important just ask. I am very bad at debugging hardware problems.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I'd try reducing the system to it's bare minimum.

So disconnect optical drives, remove any pci cards, additional usb devices other than mouse and keyboard.

It can be so many things so it's best to try and reduce the hardware to see if any of the removed components could be the culprit.