Sign in with
Your question

8800GTS not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2010 9:58:27 PM

Hello

I have a pretty big problem with my 8800GTS.
Here is how it went:
yesterday I was just browsing on my computer,and suddenly the PC froze and the screen went light brown :heink: 
ok I restarted the PC and again it was doing fine. After that I went out,and when I came back,I turned the PC on,again a little browsing,and again with the light brown screen,I tried the last method to restart it,but since then it goes with the no Graphic card installed Beep code(1 long 3 short beeps).And since then I cant figure out what it is.And i noticed that the cooler on the Graphic card goes on 100% speed,I`v never seen it spin that fast,except when I used the EVGA Precision tool,but now I was not using it.
I have a BenQ G2200W screen,Asus P5K Motherboard and 4Gigs of memory oh and the 8800GTS is with a G80 chip and 320MB memory.

I would appreciate if someone could help me.

Forward thank you.

Regards Andrey

More about : 8800gts working

a c 173 U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 10:08:33 PM

Is it working at all by this point? Take out the card and actually clean with with either a nonstatic brush or canned air and while doing so inspect the card for any damage like missing components or burn marks. Current assumption is the external ramdac is acting up.
May 24, 2010 11:30:34 PM

Interesting - my 8800GTS 640M just died as well. Shut down, never restarted. The card is dead and you either have warranty or you get to buy a new one...

sorry...
Related resources
May 25, 2010 12:06:51 AM

Hey Misko88,

I had the same card (an XFX 8800gts 320mb), and it burned out on me a little while ago. It started messing up (anywhere from lines on the screen to complete black) after playing games for a bit, and then it wouldn't work at all. I cleaned it, tried it on another motherboard, everything, but I assume it was fried from overheating. Really too bad, because that is an amazing card. I never knew how to check the temperatures on it, so I wasn't aware of overheating.

So I don't know if you are having the same problem, but definitely try cleaning it out, and trying it on another motherboard (I went into a local computer store and asked them to try it in their system). If you get it working again, check the temperatures on the card and see how hot it gets.

FrPSh
May 25, 2010 8:59:31 PM

Thanks for the fast replies guys.Appreciate it very much.

Well I tried it on my other computer and not working there either.
I disassembled it and looked for damaged or missing parts,but everything looks ok,no burns nor missing parts.
I was thinking of the overheating,but I`m running Everest on my PC,and it didnt report any overheating,it was always around 55ÂșC.
Next I tried to clean it,but still no luck.Could something be done to fix it if the card would be flashed or re solder the parts with hot air? Those two ideas I have more,and if that doesnt work i dont know what to do. Then most probably I will go see a store if they can fix it.

oh and I have the same card XFX 8800GTS 320MB
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 9:10:04 PM

You could try the oven bake trick which tends to work out for older G80 cards.
May 25, 2010 9:23:29 PM

oven bake trick?

Sorry I`m a little new to this, could you explain it a bit? :) 
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 9:32:45 PM

misko88 said:
oven bake trick?

Sorry I`m a little new to this, could you explain it a bit? :) 

You take off all the plastic bits that come off and bake it in an oven, obviously :lol:  .

I'm not kidding by the way, that's really what he meant.
May 25, 2010 9:35:59 PM

:lol: 
But is there any specific temperature that I should bake it,or duration?
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 9:38:34 PM

misko88 said:
But is there any specific temperature that I should bake it,or duration?

There is a tested and "approved" range but I don't recall it, Google is your friend in this case.
May 25, 2010 10:01:01 PM

:lol:  Well I saw a few videos of it, may be doable, just a little afraid to do it yet. Hope so that if nothing else works, I will try this method and pray that it will work.

Thank for the fast replies. Gonna report back if something has changed.

Regards Andrey
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 10:02:42 PM

Please let us know if you try it and it works.
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 10:26:29 PM

Oh.. my... god. I've never seen or heard of such a thing, but that's SO FRIGGEN awesome!!! I read up a little on how it works and it's genius with luck mixed together. I guess it's great as a last resort!
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 10:30:57 PM

borisof007 said:
Oh.. my... god. I've never seen or heard of such a thing, but that's SO FRIGGEN awesome!!! I read up a little on how it works and it's genius with luck mixed together. I guess it's great as a last resort!

I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that it works.
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 12:46:36 AM

I have only tried it once on a dead 8600gts, needless to say it did reflow but didn't fix the dead vram but would still post.
May 26, 2010 11:55:15 AM

Cooked the graphic card and waiting for it to cool down. Hope it helped. Gonna let you know how it went.
May 26, 2010 1:16:23 PM

Hello there, I`m proud to say that the graphic card works!

No side effects, nothing melted, nothing went wrong. The card is working perfectly, at the moment checking the GPU temperatures and they are at normal(at least i think)

I want to thank you very much guys for the advice. You saved me lot of money and I dont have "headaches" for my card. Payed a lot of money for it in its time, and it would be a shame to throw it away :) 

Thank you again all!

Regards Andrey
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 2:09:55 PM

Your welcome. :) 
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 2:50:07 PM

misko88 said:
Hello there, I`m proud to say that the graphic card works!

No side effects, nothing melted, nothing went wrong. The card is working perfectly, at the moment checking the GPU temperatures and they are at normal(at least i think)
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1484/tempaw.png

I want to thank you very much guys for the advice. You saved me lot of money and I dont have "headaches" for my card. Payed a lot of money for it in its time, and it would be a shame to throw it away :) 

Thank you again all!

Regards Andrey

Sweet :)  , OK now 'fess up, you really thought nforce4max must have been drinking the toilet duck or sniffing glue to have audacity to suggest such a bonkers solution, didn't ya? :lol: 
May 26, 2010 5:56:53 PM

hahahahahahahahah nice one! :lol: 
Well to tell you the truth, the solution was a little odd. But it was a great suggestion! :bounce: 
:pt1cable: 
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 6:13:26 PM

As I said before I haven't tried it myself but I did suggest it to a friend when his 8800GTS 320 was playing up and he accused me of being away with the fairies but like you he done a little googlefu and the next day I got an apologetic phone call to let me know that it had worked.
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 6:43:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:
As I said before I haven't tried it myself but I did suggest it to a friend when his 8800GTS 320 was playing up and he accused me of being away with the fairies but like you he done a little googlefu and the next day I got an apologetic phone call to let me know that it had worked.

May 27, 2010 6:57:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:

hahahah well as crazy as it sounds,it works. ;) 

by the way I`m a new owner of a Gigabyte HD5770 :)  want to be sure if something pops again.
Dont know if I`m allowed to ask it here,but I will try.
I got the 5770 from the Gigabyte manufacturer,is it good? or is there any big difference in the manufacturers?Except the guarantee,and packaging.
And one more thing, is there a better or at least better looking cooler for the 5770 then Gigabyte.Because i really dont like the batman car cooler :S

Forward thanks
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 8:24:35 PM

misko88 said:
hahahah well as crazy as it sounds,it works. ;) 

by the way I`m a new owner of a Gigabyte HD5770 :)  want to be sure if something pops again.
Dont know if I`m allowed to ask it here,but I will try.
I got the 5770 from the Gigabyte manufacturer,is it good? or is there any big difference in the manufacturers?Except the guarantee,and packaging.
And one more thing, is there a better or at least better looking cooler for the 5770 then Gigabyte.Because i really dont like the batman car cooler :S

Forward thanks

If it came down to it get a Zalman VF900, they do the job and don't look like some dorky toy.
May 27, 2010 9:49:24 PM

aha ok,thank you again for the advice. :) 

Much appreciated.
May 28, 2010 8:02:25 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that it works.

It really does work. I did it about 6 months ago with an 8800 gtx and its working great still to today. It depends on the condition of the card i had artifacts on my screen so it wasn't completly dead.
!